RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, have a problem on my car intially I thought it was the ODB plug but after giving it a clean an bending all the pins back and nice the problem still persistes

Connect the rovacom up and it will read the ECU ( clear adaptive values ) and it will then no longer be able to read the ECU however it will read the EAS system and AC system as well as the Becm and ABS system. Basically it will only read the Engine ECU once on start up and thats it, even with a disconnect and ignition switch off it wont read you have to leave the car overnight before it will read again.

Any ideas on this one?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
I've seen this with the Super scan so "maybe" the engine ECU is wating for the vehicle to be driven and hence locks out the attempt to reset.

Once you ahve reset the adaptive values then there's no need to go into the engine ECU

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to check if there are any fault codes, do you recon I should unplug drive around the block and then do it again?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest its not my unit its Ghur's unit hopefully he can be more specific, something to add is that he has no problems on any of the other vehicles only mine. So I dont think its software

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sounds like software?
I would agree Rich, It's after all always what people first point the finger of suspicion at anyway, but then no one else using the same software, which has been tried tested and debugged many years since, has the same problem and as the guy states
he has no problems on any of the other vehicles only mine. So I dont think its software
Sadly the P38 has a number of on board systems that were pretty much the first of their kind and being based on really old communications technology, they can be really troublesome and crotchetty indeed.
As a diagnostic tool developer, who tries to excell in all aspects of what we do, we do of course make the very best of what we have to work with in respect of vehicle systems and to be honest almost 60% of our effort has not been so much to write software to do the required job, but has been to find transparent software solutions to overcome a staggering amount of vehicle systems' akwardness and stupidity.

As such our equipment has an absolutely unrivalled degree of communication reliability with these older systems, but ultimately it cannot overcome the worst case situations of faulty ECU's or Vehicle wiring which seems to be all to common.

JeramyD, i might suggest you try swapping out the offending and problematic ECU for another, if if only but to try it out.

Also be sure you are not falling into the common trap provided by the designers of the Wabco type C ABS.
Namely that after any comms with this ECU the IGN has to be routinely re cycled before comms can be re done on either the same ECU or others sharing the same diagnostic connectivity, namely ABS (same ECU) BeCM, EMS, Hevac and Auto box.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I=Hi yes we did indeed try switing the ignition on and off but it didnt seem to help I will try swapping the ECU over from another Vehicle and see what transpires

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
I would suggest spray contact cleaner on the OBD connector, water is a known cause for concern with the plug, so much so relocating to the glove box is a better solution

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ghur and I did give it a good clean and adjusted the metal tabs but it didnt solve our porblems

1 - 9 of 9 Posts