Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Recently I had a rough idle on startup, which seemed to possibly be a cylinder missing. In the past as soon as I got some RPMs going it smoothed out and didn't return. Slowly over time the issue started to return when stopped at lights for a long period of time and such. Now it's happening all the time. I'm going to pull the plugs tomorrow but does anyone have any early suggestions?

A couple things to think about:
  • I replaced the head gaskets just over a year ago.
  • Spark plugs and leads where also replaced then.
  • I am loosing no coolant
  • I appear to be burning none but the look of the exhaust.
  • I have not tested the coolant for hydrocarbons but no bubbling is present.
  • I have no codes, except one for an o2 sensor, which I've been meaning to replace for some time.

Could it be just a coil pack or is that wishful thinking? What would be your next steps after pulling the plugs?

·
Registered
772 Posts
You’ve got it right, go down the list, don’t rule out parts already replaced , leads especially, do the night check to see if any sparks anywhere.
you might want to add year and engine to your post.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’ve got it right, go down the list, don’t rule out parts already replaced , leads especially, do the night check to see if any sparks anywhere.
you might want to add year and engine to your post.
Yeah I ordered new leads and coil packs because they are actually pretty cheap. I'll update this post when I have the fix!

Rover is a 1996 4.6 I'll add that to my sig, thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So an update, I replaced the coil packs and plug wires. Unfortunately that wasn't the problem. So the next step for me is to replace the plug. I probably should have started there but oh well. If it's not the plug I suppose I find a way to test the compression and ejectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts