RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 RR and yesterday afternoon leaving work upon starting up their is a pretty loud clacking sound that is rotational in nature coming from the font of the engine area. Belt looks good and the fan does not seem to be rubbing anything. It does it just sitting at idle. No warning lights inside. This would lead me to believe something to do with belt/fan or something connected to this system. The Alternator is new as well as the water pump. Any suggestions on a direction to look or particular thing that tends to produce this issue from those that have dealt with this before.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, update. I just did a bit closer inspection and the sound seems to be coming from the passenger side front part of the engine but again seems to be internal to the engine. I have not pulled the belt and started it up to see if the sound is still there with no belt driven accessories rotating, guess I will try that next. The thing sounds almost like a diesel. Any suggestions. Oil looks good. It has a little over 107,000 on the odometer.

Man, this does not look good.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Mine does this if the oil is any less than full, stick 1/2 a liter in it and see if it goes away tomorrow.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Little more info. Just pulled the drive belt and sound is still there.

Thanks for the info guys. I did check oil and it it is not full but low on the dipstick. I have seen it lower than where it is now on the stick more than once and there was no sound. I will top it off and check it tomorrow as suggested. I know the oil is rather thick now as this is the coldest weather we have had this far south in recorded history. I sure hope that is all this is but I have had lower levels of oil with no sounds. Also, this is much louder than a tick sound. It sounds like a diesel engine.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it does not go away after it is warm. It is always there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts