RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...
A few days ago, the cruise control packed in. Now the SRS warning light is on as well. Would I be right in thinking that the rotary coupler on the steering wheel might be iffy? '96 P38 Diesel.
If so, any handy tips on how to fix it?
Thanks,
Iain

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Sounds like the most likely source of the problem
No fix, unfortuately, just replace with good used or new
Instructions are in RAVE

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, mate. No fix :-( Still, looks fairly easy to do the replacement. Harder to hunt through the RAVE to find out how! I like proper paper manuals, I'm old...:)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Might be worth doing the Cruise troubleshooting in RAVE first. These can be done with a multi-meter.

For the SRS, it could be various things. Most common is under-seat connectors. There's a guy on here called "Minim" who is based somewhere in Norway and has a Nanocom. Might be worth a PM to him.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
A '96 won't have under seat connectors, and cruise control on the Diesel's is electronic and controlled by the engine ECU, so other than the inverter (I think they still have that) there is no separate ECU for the cruise.

I would say that the rotary coupler is a fair bet that it's gone faulty - does the horn still work?

Diagnostics will need to be involved at some point, as an SRS fault on a '96 won't self clear. In some ways it would be handy to get the fault read to pinpoint what's triggered it - but sometimes that's not always the easiest!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello all...
A few days ago, the cruise control packed in. Now the SRS warning light is on as well. Would I be right in thinking that the rotary coupler on the steering wheel might be iffy? '96 P38 Diesel.
If so, any handy tips on how to fix it?
Thanks,
Iain
A '96 won't have under seat connectors, and cruise control on the Diesel's is electronic and controlled by the engine ECU, so other than the inverter (I think they still have that) there is no separate ECU for the cruise.

I would say that the rotary coupler is a fair bet that it's gone faulty - does the horn still work?

Diagnostics will need to be involved at some point, as an SRS fault on a '96 won't self clear. In some ways it would be handy to get the fault read to pinpoint what's triggered it - but sometimes that's not always the easiest!
Hi Ian,

I have a 1999 2.5 DSE and the invertor for the cruise control is inside the dash on the right hand side on RH drive cars. Take out the dash pod and peek into the hole, you can't miss the invertor. My replacement was £9.95 from the flea bay. Range Rover P38 2.5 Diesel Cruise Control Switch Invertor ERR4277

As Marty says rotary coupler isn't hard to change. The hardest problem I had was actually removing the wheel from the splined shaft! It wouldn't budge no matter what then shot off and hit me in the face :lol: Don't forget to mark the wheel and the shaft with paint so you can realign properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts