• Toss Em In The Back

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the ski season upon us, I was just curious as to what everyone prefers to do when it comes to ski (or snowboard) equipment.

Personally, I like keeping my equipment concealed so it's "toss 'em in the back" diagonally for me. I know some others prefer the sleek, dedicated roof racks which free up your cargo space, handy for hauling other items, e.g. on multi-day ski trips. What does everyone here prefer?

Thank you for your input and for feeding my curiosity!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,784 Posts
If you have the room they are always better off inside. no road grime, sand and gravel pitting or snow and ice build up.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
322 Posts
I have a factory roof rack with a Yakima Fatcat 6 Evo (I also have a Thule ski case, which I'll use if the weather looks knarly.). My girlfriend and I usually carry 2 pairs each, one for the resorts and one for the backcountry. So we have packs, avvy gear, food, clothing, plus camping gear if we are in the backcountry overnight(s), 2 pairs of boot each etc. We might even sleep in the car at the trailhead, so skis would be in the way. Nice that the Range Rover has a ski bag though I think i've only used it once to tote my skis to the shop in shoulder season! Our typical route sees us heading up to Bishop/Mammoth/June from LA for extended weekends.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have the room they are always better off inside. no road grime, sand and gravel pitting or snow and ice build up.
I'm in accordance with that train of thought. That said, I do find the hard shell case roof racks do look nice (and functional) versus exposed equipment on the roof though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm in accordance with that train of thought. That said, I do find the hard shell case roof racks do look nice (and functional) versus exposed equipment on the roof though.
it all depends what kind of skis you're running with! ;-)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a factory roof rack with a Yakima Fatcat 6 Evo (I also have a Thule ski case, which I'll use if the weather looks knarly.). My girlfriend and I usually carry 2 pairs each, one for the resorts and one for the backcountry. So we have packs, avvy gear, food, clothing, plus camping gear if we are in the backcountry overnight(s), 2 pairs of boot each etc. We might even sleep in the car at the trailhead, so skis would be in the way. Nice that the Range Rover has a ski bag though I think i've only used it once to tote my skis to the shop in shoulder season! Our typical route sees us heading up to Bishop/Mammoth/June from LA for extended weekends.
Sounds like some awesome times! Slightly off topic but I've always wondered what it'd be like to ski/snowboard out at Mammoth. I hear a lot of good things about that resort. For West Coast skiing, we've typically flown out to Western Canada.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
340 Posts
My wife and I use Thule Board Carrier for our boards. But then again we only have a 2 hour drive so dirt and grime is usually not an issue. Inside is for children, dogs and food. ��

·
Registered
39 Posts
I picked up one of those big roof boxes off Craigslist for $40. I find it’s awesome, all my family’s skis fit up top so there is room for people inside the truck. Plus at the end of the day it’s nice to put soaking wet gear up top so the car doesn’t get all fogged up inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife and I use Thule Board Carrier for our boards. But then again we only have a 2 hour drive so dirt and grime is usually not an issue. Inside is for children, dogs and food. ?
Nice. Thule does make some nice-looking board carriers. The dogs must love being in the back without all the gear in the way. `8)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked up one of those big roof boxes off Craigslist for $40. I find it’s awesome, all my family’s skis fit up top so there is room for people inside the truck. Plus at the end of the day it’s nice to put soaking wet gear up top so the car doesn’t get all fogged up inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never experienced (or at least, I don't think I have) interior fogging due to damp equipment but yes, even though I wipe down everything as best as possible, everything can/i] get a little messy in the back there after a long day on the slopes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have rubber mats throughout - they work pretty well with the wet gear thrown in there.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
111 Posts
We went through the same dilemma last year. We have a weathertech cargo liner which is mandatory IMHO and just laid down a small tarp to set the skis on. After the trip, my brother and I were comparing how similar his 4wd VW toureg was to the RR with features and we mentioned we found a little compartment in the back seat of the L322 that had some material in it but no idea what it was. He says, oh yeah, the VW has that too, its a built in ski bag. Sure enough, there is a bag for skis built into our back seat and of course we never got to use it. Check your back seat, you may have one too!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have one, only used it once with clean skis for a tune up at the local shop! Nice to have - do all Range Rover L322s have it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts