RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for...so...some questions:

I have an 06 RRSC and and need to get some extra storage up top...with ski season approaching and a planed 50 days this year I don't really want to trash the inside of my Rover.

I can't quite figure out what the optimal setup is...There is both the "integrated roof rail system" and also the "sport bar roof rack." What's the real difference here? The photo on page 13 of the accessories manual shows the "sports box" on the "integrated roof rail system" but is that a necessity? I'm pretty sure the "sport bar roof rack" is less expenisve.

Has anyone had better / worse experiences with the Thule or Yakamia boxes? What about the LR brand one?

Also - given that the vehice is 6'4" high + the racks + the box...does anyone rock a box without running boards? That's a long way up but the car looks so so so clean without them and deployable ones are out of budget!

Thoughts and thanks!
A

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh - and one more thing...

What about Thule or Yak rails?

Thanks again!
A

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the Landrover brand luggage box (the sport box was narrower), (I believe it may actually be a Thule rebranded box), I don't have running boards, if you leave the car in normal height, you can step up on the rear tyre to open it. If the car is in lowered or highway mode, you can put a foot in the wheel spoke (yes you might damage the finish, but I haven't noticed this.). Steps would make this easier though. There is a fellow here who has a box that attaches to his towbar and it is at waist height (probably no good for skis). the range rover vogue has a "hole' in the back seat you can pass skis through from the boot if you don't have a middle passenger.
murray
Western Australia

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use the integrated roof rail system which is a Thule, or Thule compatible, system. The ski holders on the cross bars are made so you can slide them over the side of the car, put the skis into them, and push them back up again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
atejano said:
Hi all - I couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for...so...some questions:

I have an 06 RRSC and and need to get some extra storage up top...with ski season approaching and a planed 50 days this year I don't really want to trash the inside of my Rover.

I can't quite figure out what the optimal setup is...There is both the "integrated roof rail system" and also the "sport bar roof rack." What's the real difference here? The photo on page 13 of the accessories manual shows the "sports box" on the "integrated roof rail system" but is that a necessity? I'm pretty sure the "sport bar roof rack" is less expenisve.

Has anyone had better / worse experiences with the Thule or Yakamia boxes? What about the LR brand one?

Also - given that the vehice is 6'4" high + the racks + the box...does anyone rock a box without running boards? That's a long way up but the car looks so so so clean without them and deployable ones are out of budget!

Thoughts and thanks!
A
I have the LR roof rack and rails but use the Yakima loadspace. I have it attached to the cross bars and just use the Yakima accessories for bike/skis etc and attach them to the loadspace. Its easier to remove just the loadspace system from the crossbars. It does make the vehicle much taller but I do have the running boards and trailer hitch which help for easy step access

·
Registered
690 Posts
Do all Range Rovers not have the pass-through ski bag so you can carry your skis conveniently in the back without getting snow in the back seat? Mine does and it is really a great asset. Audi owners are very jealous.

As for getting things in and out of a roof box, as mentioned I don't need a long box for skis but I do a lot of overloaded trips to the cottage with the family and we need the back for our two dogs so we have a wide Thule load box on top of removeable roof bars and it works great. Get a ladder for the back and you are set up - you can reach anything you like up there.
For bikes I use a Yakima bike rack attached to the hitch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi
I actually made adapters so I can mount Thule crossbars into the factory rails, instead of using the OEM crossbars. The Thule xbars extend beyound the rails and will give you additional "width" and tie-down points. Another benefit is the flat or level xbars, rather than the curved OEM xbars. I can mount a Yak basket and eithter a bike or kayak mount.
GND HG

·
Registered
952 Posts
I used to use thule boxes on top of my cars but I found they were awkward to access and didn't hold that much. I got the hitch box below and love it. It swings out so I can access the back when needed. I use it on long trips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts