RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have knockoff OEM style rails and crossbars and the rails look fine but the crossbars look too tall and flimsy for me. for those unfamiliar, the rails function like a giant T slot and the crossbar has the T shape that inserts into cutouts in the rails. I'm wondering if this is a proprietary system or if there are alternative crossbars that would attach to this style rails? Any examples of something DIY'd to fit a lower crossbar?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
24 Posts
Any experience with the Rhino Racks cross bars?

We have a set of knock-off rails and bars. Everything fits fine but the cross bars are pretty loud on the highway and have been known to whistle (I believe it's the theme song from The Bridge Over the River Kwai but I can't be sure).

The Rhino Rack cross bars look like essentially the same design, I was hoping they might have some ribs or other devices to mitigate the sound like the ones we have our our LR2.

·
Registered
24 Posts
bscola, do you have any experience with the Rhino Rack bars?

I also have knockoffs which fit fine but are pretty noisy at highway speeds (and have been known to whistle. I believe it's the theme song from Bridge Over the River Qwai but I can't be sure). I was hoping the Rhino bars would have some channels or something to mitigate the sound like the OE ones on our LR2.

·
Registered
24 Posts
bscola, do you know if the Rhino Rack bars have ridges or anything on the cross bars to help cut down the noise?

We have a set of knockoffs that fit well but are pretty loud and have been known to whistle (I think it's "Bridge Over the River Kwai" but I can't be certain).

Hoping the Rhino ones are a little more sophisticated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don’t have experience with the Rhino Rack bars. Yakima also makes a crossbar that fits the L320, called the “Whispbar,” and as the name would imply it’s specially designed to minimize whistling and highway noise. I used those bars for a time and the noise is minimal. If memory serves, they don’t connect to the T slot, but rather have their own posts that bolt directly into the rail connections in the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
33 Posts
The prices for the OEM, Rhino and even yamkima and thule racks are so high its embarrassing. SPend $500- $1,000 on a crossbar set and another $1,200 on a basket, on a $15k truck? I just picked up these bad toads for $145. reviews look pretty good, ill update when I get them tuesday.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191056849911

Here was another option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303018475350

Here's the basket I bought for 170:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QN37K3P/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A36MMU92PLSMVI&psc=1

·
Registered
14 Posts
these bad toads
Yeah those are the knock-off OEM bars that the original poster already has. He wanted alternatives because those are loud at highway speeds. I agree that the aftermarket bars are overpriced. But such is life. You can always do as I did and go full rack.

Who's talking about a $15k truck -- did I sign-on to the wrong forum? `)

·
Registered
24 Posts
In answer to my own question, I was able to verify via the Rhino Rack site that the cross bars do have ridges to reduce noise.

Vortex-RSPT-Roof-Rack-Black-00.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the full rhino kit and can confirm the cross bars do whistle, it is not terrible with the shade closed but if you open the shade (not the glass but just the actual shade) it is kinda annoying. i think they look good and they perform pretty well. i only keep them on when i need them .

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
I had the $150 ebay ones and never had any issue with wind noise. I wonder if anyone has tried black para-cord a few times around the crossbar to break up the wind. Kinda like the old radio antenna had a non symmetric wire running up the length.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts