RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 jap spec has roof rack rails but i want to remove itso I can sand & repaint the peeling paint but cant find anything that fits the recessed screws , its neither metric or imperial allen key or star drive or philips strange they are very shllow socket head screw . worst case ill cut the dam thing off dont want anyway its corroded cast alloy

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
313 Posts
Well if it is Japanese spec you would think the fasteners would be metric. I looked at my roof rack which is off the car and the larger machine screws that clamp everything in place use a 4mm hex bit. I also came across a smaller countersunk machine screw that took a 3mm hex bit. The larger ones are supposed to be "security" screws that have a center pin. You need a hollow bit for these. If you just want it gone you could drill off the screw heads although they look to be stainless steel and that is a bit difficult to drill.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Mac, covered dozens of times go purchase a security license plate frame the star wrench is a perfect fit for roof rack screws

by the way we have no idea where you are located or what model you have

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
343 Posts
If you have to you can drill them out with a 1/4” bit and then just buy new stainless bolts later to install later. If had to do that when getting one of a junked truck in a hurry. It takes about 45 seconds with a new bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts