RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone with some experience in this can give me some sought after advice....
I'm planning a 4 day road trip with 3 kids and a dog in my '04 RR... with the truck practically full already I'm looking for some advice as to what cargo option makes the most sense.
My initial thought is to invest in a Safety Devices or Rover Racks safari rack, which should handle all the gear necessary & would provide countless options in the future for snowboards, bikes, canoes, misbehaving children, etc. :)

But with no experience with rooftop cargo, I'm not sure if I'm missing some relevant issues to consider?
thanks, Mark.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Expedition roof rack is great. had one for a long time but usual rules apply.

maximum roof laoding is (I think 8oKG -check that). Heavy gear should be stored insode and lighter bulky items on the roof.
The rack casues a fair bit of wind noise. This is apparently reduced if the 'bib' is fitted (if it is available.)

The rack knocks more than 1MPG off fuel consumption (unloaded)

There is also a lot of space in the spare wheel compartment, especially for 'stuff' you need to have with you but probably won't access.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You're way better off getting one of these...
http://www.stowaway2.com
than a roof cargo holder.

Much easier to access and put on and take off, and holds more. I switched from a large Thule cargo box on a roof rack to one of these and I'll never go back. I use it all the time for just what you are describing, family trips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts