RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appreciate the sleek look on my 2015 Supercharged. It has the panoramic sun/moon roof and there is no roof rack. It sounds like I'd need to first install the OEM flush roof "rack" rails then a Yakima or Thule system would bolt-on.

Are there any other solutions (without drilling the roof)?

Thanks for any ideas/insights/sources!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man, it's making me nuts that I can't go back in and edit my TYPO! So, apologies for the "opitons" typo. Being the grammar police, this is just a bit ironic.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
52 Posts
My Salesman told me this past April that anyone who puts the "roof racks" on will destroy the air bags at the "B" pillar tucked up against the roof. You will drill right through the airbag and have no protection.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks Bluesurf. Makes sense and there is no way I'd drill into the roof of this thing. I am talking about whether or not I must install the OEM "flush" rails that apparently must be installed in order for an aftermarket setup (e.g. Yakima) to be then attached to those rails.

I'd rather have a solution where I don't need to install the OEM rails. I've seen a couple that clamp onto the door frame but would want to hear from someone who has used that approach first. Scratching the lip would suck.

I saw some OEM rails up on ebay for $170/each so IF they are the real thing, that's what I'll probably use.

I assume the dealer will charge some absurd price and, as usual, it seems 95% of parts are focused on the Sport models. I am not a big fan of ebay at all, to say the least, but these may be ok.

Anyway - Boring topic for sure...I'll figure it out. ;^)

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
If you are looking for a real expedition rack I have been in touch with Voyager Racks https://voyagerracks.com/ and they are planning to make one.

Cheers

John

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Suction cup kits like shown are extremely limiting due to low weight carrying ability. They also suffer from a lack of expandability. With proper roof rails you instantly have catalogs of options from Yakima and Thule at your finger tips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Salesman told me this past April that anyone who puts the "roof racks" on will destroy the air bags at the "B" pillar tucked up against the roof. You will drill right through the airbag and have no protection.
Hi Bluesurf (or anyone) - Does anyone know what Bluesurf or this salesman are talking about? I have watched two different videos of a roof rail install and there is no drilling involved. I am thinking about DIYing the install of the Land Rover OEM roof rail and ditch finisher on my L405. There is no drilling involved is there?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I installed the OEM roof rails on my '17 myself. It was pretty easy, took about an hour, and I can confirm that there was no drilling. They come with instructions that are fairly easy to follow.
20190228_145834.jpg
20190120_160205.jpg

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
6 Posts
I installed the OEM roof rails on my '17 myself. It was pretty easy, took about an hour, and I can confirm that there was no drilling. They come with instructions that are fairly easy to follow.
View attachment 271662
View attachment 271660
Same here for my 2017. I ordered all the parts for a roof rail and hitch install. Took me an afternoon to install both. No drilling. They pop right off and screw in very easy, comes with parts to line them up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same experience with my 2018. There is a QR code for installation instructions in the box. It made it easy. I powder coated my cross rails gloss black to match the roof. It made a big difference in the appearance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same experience with my 2018. There is a QR code for installation instructions in the box. It made it easy. I powder coated my cross rails gloss black to match the roof. It made a big difference in the appearance.
Pics? I was thinking about doing that but didn't think it would be worth it unless I could also do the ski rack. The ski rack has a sliding mechanism that could be difficult to powder coat around the seam and maintain good/smooth functionality. I'm not sure how to fully take the rack apart either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Bluesurf. Makes sense and there is no way I'd drill into the roof of this thing. I am talking about whether or not I must install the OEM "flush" rails that apparently must be installed in order for an aftermarket setup (e.g. Yakima) to be then attached to those rails.

I'd rather have a solution where I don't need to install the OEM rails. I've seen a couple that clamp onto the door frame but would want to hear from someone who has used that approach first. Scratching the lip would suck.

I saw some OEM rails up on ebay for $170/each so IF they are the real thing, that's what I'll probably use.

I assume the dealer will charge some absurd price and, as usual, it seems 95% of parts are focused on the Sport models. I am not a big fan of ebay at all, to say the least, but these may be ok.

Anyway - Boring topic for sure...I'll figure it out. ;^)
Did you ever find a place to buy the flush rail system? I did this on our D5 and found them on eBay.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
49 Posts
Curious if anyone has the silver roof with the silver roof rack. I am trying to see how it will look before I order.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Curious if anyone has the silver roof with the silver roof rack. I am trying to see how it will look before I order.
I just ordered the complete set from eBay. They have both and show pictures of each. I chose the black even though mine is silver with silver trim. Ill be adding my Yakima cross bars which are black so I thought I’d keep it all uniform. One seller offered the entire kit including the crossbars which is what I ordered. He was listed at 339. I offered 325 and he accepted. I believe I just have to pop off the roof trim to gain access to the factory bolt on locations. I imagine I’ll need to drill or cut that strip once I put it back to mount the rails to the base.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
49 Posts
I just ordered the complete set from eBay. They have both and show pictures of each. I chose the black even though mine is silver with silver trim. Ill be adding my Yakima cross bars which are black so I thought I’d keep it all uniform. One seller offered the entire kit including the crossbars which is what I ordered. He was listed at 339. I offered 325 and he accepted. I believe I just have to pop off the roof trim to gain access to the factory bolt on locations. I imagine I’ll need to drill or cut that strip once I put it back to mount the rails to the base.
Do you a link to the listing you are refencing?

·
Registered
353 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts