RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who knows where I can get a replacement key for the locking crossbars on the factory roof rack?

It's not Yakima based [used a master key and it doesn't fit] and it's not Thule based [got some keys from them today and they don't fit]

Dealer is worse than useless to be honest [no surprise there]

There is a number stamped on the ends of the 4 barrels, number "LR001"

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
I have the cross bars that fit into the rails - has 4 locks, one on each corner of the rails and i replaced them with my thule lock cores so all my keys are the same - those are thule. If these are the rails you have then they are thule lock cores - 100%.

http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp ... 81&TID=367 this will fit in there, however you will need the key to take the ones you have in there out. You can call thule and tell them the lock core numbers and they will send you a key if you provide them your information. Tell them you need key number LR001 and they will help you out i suspect.

JH

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine says LR001 as well and I can't find my keys anywhere either... I didn't think it was a Thule lock, I will give them a buzz in the AM and post results.

Thx,

Mike

·
Registered
144 Posts
The thule lock cores fit for sure. I replaced the LR001 cores with my same keyed thule cores ( i have 12 cores that all work with the same key to make it simple).

When you call i wouldn't mention range rover, they may have some sort of deal with them not to sell directly - just tell them that you need extra keys for lock cores numbered LR????? .

I am sure they can help you out with the key, but let us know how it turns out.

JH

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already said I contacted Thule and they sent me the keys after having quoted the "LR001" number to them and they DON"T fit.

They are familiar with the LR number but all Thule cores use an "N" designation in front of their numbers.
I have no doubt a Thule core will fit in place of what is there when the originals are removed.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
24 Posts
i recently broke down my entire rack system for powder coating, etc. I emailed Thule regarding a part for the rack that i needed, this was our correspondance.

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Matt Caruso) - 02/10/2010 10:35 AM
I'm sorry but Thule does not manufacture that rack. Please contact your Land Rover dealer for information on obtaining spare parts.

Thank you.

Customer (mark swacha) - 02/10/2010 10:10 AM
i have a factory roof rack on the above referenced vehicle made by THULE, #CAB000040PMA. There is a plastic removable cover at the end of each crossbar (photos attached), i would like to order 4 of these, are they available ? Thank you very much, 3 out of the four covers that i have are damaged.

However, i ended up using a key from another Thule rack i owned that was off an old Saab 900. They were interchangeable. I was never able to get to the bottom of the who actually produced the rack. In addition, having not been moved in so long, it was not easy to adjust/remove the crossbars, they were rusted on the inside, i had to have new internal metal piecies fabricated.

m

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Incase anyone is interested, the part number for the crossbars is VUB502790. I have tried calling a few suppliers to ask if they can sell me the keys or just make me a duplicate set, and none of them are willing to help. Have yet another call in with the dealer about this. :x

·
Registered
80 Posts
great... im not really worried about theft- maybe i can help it unlock with a dril bit :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gisham said:
great... im not really worried about theft- maybe i can help it unlock with a dril bit :)
Ah, the universal key. :lol: That'll work

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
307 Posts
Resurrecting this thread from the past; wondering if anyone figured out a source for replacement of ever-elusive LR001 roof rack key? I tried a number of different keys, including a promising replacement from this website (https://www.replacementkeys.co.uk/landrover-roof-bar-keys.html) but nothing worked. Dealer and Thule are both useless, so I'm at a point where I just want to rip out existing locks and re-lock the roof racks, but not sure if drill bit is really the only way to do it.Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have LR101 locks on my factory roof rack. I had no keys. I procured a new set of tumblers with keys from Atlantic British - specifically 101. The keys fit the old tumblers and I have a spare set. So - you could try Atlantic British.Failing that have a good locksmith pick the locks and buy new tumblers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts