RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the time has come for the purchase of a roof rack for my 13 RRS and it is now one of the few points that i say to myself life would be so much easier if I upgraded LR3 into a LR4, My options are pretty limited it seems and i cannot stand the look of the Bajarack roof rack so it seems I am basically limited to a Voyager Rack or a cheap universal ARB/Smittybilt rack and making some brackets to fit it. Does anyone have any experience with either? or is anyone running anything different there aren't many options out there since not many are building this platform.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
I picked up a roof rack and rails from eBay and they fit quite nicely. When the rails are on you will notice whistling at speed, but other than that I like them.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have but they are just universal racks that you choose the size that best fits your roof, if i am going to go universal i would go with something half the price and still a quality part.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
if i am going to go universal i would go with something half the price and still a quality part.
So you have two votes for the one on Amazon which is "Factory Style" for $165. There are two listings on eBay for identical kits that "OE style" for $160. These kits are made from extruded aluminum just as the LR ones are.

Considering factory is around $840 and usually don't come with free shipping the choice should be easy. You don't have to pick a size that fits your roof the best as they are a proper fit.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,459 Posts
The OP is looking for a roof rack, not a set of cross bars. Very different setup.

I'm sorry you don't like the look of the Bajarack...I've been running one for years now (in fact, my RRS was the first ever to have a rack from Bajarack) and love it for its practicality, lightweight and also how quiet it is. When Sergio designed the original Mega Mule for my RRS, originally it sat on the cross bars which was too high, so I asked him to design a set of feet that actually attach to the roof rails (not cross bars) so it sits very low with minimal space (enough to open the sunroof however), and we made sure to install not only a front windshield but also a bottom windshield to keep it super quiet, and also designed the cutout for the satellite radio.

If you were looking for an alternative method of mounting, I think the Hannibal racks also look great, have seen several in person for example at Overland Expo and they fit the profile of the roof line well especially on the LR3/4 platform. If you like that style of slimline rack, you could check with Hannibal and see if they could fab one up for you...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just installed the Rhino Rack over the weekend. I like the idea that I can take the cross bars off and that they don't overhang when installed. The track is installed permanently and once installed you cannot go back as the trim on the car needs to be cut. It does not change the look of the car too much without the crossbars. I got this on Amazon for $90 not sure why as it usually is $404. The first kit i bought was missing one part so I purchased a second which had all the parts and was still $90. I am about to return the original to amazon and wonder if they will sell it even cheaper as an open box item as the part missing was only the end caps and could most likely be purchased for a few bucks.

if anyone wants the kit before i return it let me know.

Missing part 3-10, only 3-4 are really important, screw and washers you could buy at home depot.

http://vpm.cdn.rhinorack.com.au/Instructions/Parts/Tracks/RTS508.pdf

http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/spares-brackets-components/roof-rack-parts/complete-roof-racks/vortex-rspt-black-2-bar-roof-rack_rspt508

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGL9WIO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered this as well as the Kuat TRIO... Will respond here with feedback. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
35 Posts
so the time has come for the purchase of a roof rack for my 13 RRS and it is now one of the few points that i say to myself life would be so much easier if I upgraded LR3 into a LR4, My options are pretty limited it seems and i cannot stand the look of the Bajarack roof rack so it seems I am basically limited to a Voyager Rack or a cheap universal ARB/Smittybilt rack and making some brackets to fit it. Does anyone have any experience with either? or is anyone running anything different there aren't many options out there since not many are building this platform.
hey Mike, did you ever decide on a roof rack/basket? I’ve been looking at the voyager which looks solid and basic, the rhino rack which I like the platform and attachments available, the bajarack doesn’t look too bad to me and the price is pretty good, and the LR OEM expedition rack which looks great but is $1700. I’m leaning forwards getting the voyager and maybe getting some other stuff from him while down there. But the rhino rack tray platform looks pretty slick.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
35 Posts
I’ve got a set of Yakima jetstream and skyline base with the type 004 landing pads set up perfectly if anyone is interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts