RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with the Rover. I have 2003 HSE with 168,000 miles. For the past two months, it’s been doing some shifting/rolling from side to side while I’m driving. It’s coming from the rear of the vehicle.
- When I’m accelerating and the truck is shifting out of first gear, the rear sways back and forth. It’s more noticeable when I’m driving uphill. It seems like when force is being exerted on the rear of vehicle, it rolls from side to side (like it’s doing a mini fishtail). When I’m traveling up a curved hill, it will roll (sway) from side to side until I reach a straight.
- It also rolls/sways when I’m changing lanes on the highway. When I’m driving 60-70mph and change lanes, it sways back and forth, then eventually straights up (stop swaying). I have no issues at lower speeds.
Work recently done:
All wheel alignment
New front tie rod
New tires
Relatively new (2) front suspension

I’m in serious need of help fellas (and ladies)..lol

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
You need to see what's loose in the rear end. The common issues that will cause that sensation are the upper and lower ball joints, along with the rear tie rod. The upper and lower ball joints are not normal looking ball joints, more like bushings.

Lift the vehicle, and see if you can move either rear wheel with hands at both 12 and 6, and 3 and 9. The tie rod will be play in 3-9, ball joints will be 6-12. I would recommend replacing all of the ball joints and not just what has failed, as the others will be soon to follow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch RoverGuy. I really appreciate the response. This situation has been driving my crazy!!! I will look into it tomorrow....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RoverGuy, I have movement at the 3-9 position on the drivers rear. Looking at the RAVE workshop manual, I do not see a Tie Rod. I see "Toe Control Arm." Where you referring to the Toe Control Arm?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts