RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 09 RRS with 1600 miles on it in for 3 issues this week. They kept the car for two days and hear are the results…

1) Passenger seat stopped working and was blowing fuses - dealer found a pinched wire and repaired

2) Driver seat is rocking on acceleration and braking. This is happening regardless of which position the seat is in and both when my wife or I drive the RR.
- The dealer said that they don’t see the rocking being out of spec and that this is normal. I referred to the Service Bulletin and they said it didn’t matter because it is within the acceptable range.
- I told them this is not acceptable for a 60k+ vehicle and none of my other cars Honda to an m3 have had this type of issue.
- The service rep said he would talk with his service manager to see if they can make an exception and replace the seat base.

3) I am also feeling a light vibration in brake pedal, steering wheel and center console when stopped with the car in drive.
- Dealer said that they noticed the issue but believe it is being caused by my Borla exhaust and Custom Creations intake. Said the will not troubleshoot it further
- I don’t believe my exhaust or intake because this just started to happen within the last week. Not to mention that I can’t see and intake causing the steering wheel or pedal to vibrate while idle

I was desperately trying not to lose my cool with the service rep and decided to walk away. It was a long day yesterday and after they had had our RR for two days and only addressed 1/3 of my concerns it could have gotten ugly fast. Any suggestions on how I should approach this?

1) Do I call the Service Manager directly?
2) LRNA?
3) Am I screwed with resolving the vibration because I have aftermarket parts?
4) Have to wait until the driver seat is coming off the tracks?

Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,456 Posts
Re: Rocking, vibrating and blowing Fuses - dealer fixes 1 of 3

Item #3 is most certainly NOT caused by the Borla or the intake, as I've also got a Borla and the vibration was there before and after with equal intensity. Your vibration is most noticeable when the car is in drive, and diminishes when you put it into neutral, right?

In my experience, getting the transmission software reflashed to the latest version seems to have successfully 'calmed' down the vibration,

Barring that, you may also want them to check out the power steering pump (latest theory from an independent shop as the LR dealer doesn't seem to have any ideas on this).

Unlikely...but possible contributors may be a broken engine mount...although the probability of this is extremely low.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts

icoburn said:
2) Driver seat is rocking on acceleration and braking. This is happening regardless of which position the seat is in and both when my wife or I drive the RR.
- The dealer said that they don’t see the rocking being out of spec and that this is normal.
Sounds like bull to me. Never heard of "acceptable range" for a driver seat that's rocking, it should not rock, period. My seat (2006 HSE) definitely doesn't rock, at all. Its springs are starting to squeak when compressed, :wink: , but the seat doesn't rock. IMHO, you should insist that they apply the bulletin and replace the seat tracks.

·
Registered
270 Posts

Ive got a Borla system and the short ram intake. No vibration at all for me.

My seats are tight> no rocking or anything. Thats ridiculous that they would say its with in an acceptable range. WHo wants loose seats? I would call someone higher than your Local LR dealer. Are you taking any road trips soon? Maybe you could take it to another shop and see what they say.

They may use the "Aftermarket Excuse" in order to get away with not looking into or fixing the vibration prob under warranty.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Asked them how they measured the tolerance in the seat to say that it is in within the acceptable tolerance range.

Ask them to see the paper that documents the spec/tolerance.

As for them saying its your exhaust, I would let LRNA know that this dealership is making bogus diagnosis’s and they need to speak with them. If they would have said that to me I would have laughed in his face.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the replies and advise. I have a call into my Service Advisor this morning and if I make no progress, I will go to the Service Manager, GM and then LRNA. Want to give them the opportunity to make it right before I throw them under the bus.

I am also noticing, when the RR is in neutral and I press the gas pedal lightly the whole car shudders (slightly) at around 1200 RPMs. Anyone else seeing this. Is it normal or related to the vibration when stopped and in drive? It goes away above 1200 RPMs.

·
Registered
219 Posts

wow,

sounds like an out of round drive shaft.
The bearings could have been pressed into the drive shaft wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts