RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I rebuild the 3.5 (1984) and it runs great. New bearings, heads, etc. Engine only had done 41k so was all pretty new in there. The PO has bought a whole bunch of Land Rover parts in 1993 which I got with the car in boxes. Since I had a complete set of rockers, shafts, pedestals and pushrods I changed it all out. During assembly I paid particular attention to the rocker orientation as well as the rocker shaft oil hole orientation. Before I fitted the heads I span the oil pump and plenty of oil was coming through the holes. The heads were professionally cleaned and rebuild.

Engine has been running now for about 200 miles and I have good oil pressure (1.5bar at hot idle) but when I take the filler cap off I notice there is very little oil coming from the rockers. I ran the engine without the rocker cover and I can see oil oozing out around the rockers but it is just a drip drip at best. On other style engines I am used to seeing quite a bit of splashing. Peeking down into the running engine I can see the followers are generously lubricated!

Reading up in internet a fair few people report what with new rockers and shafts the tolerances are so fine that very little oil comes out and so what I am seeing is fairly normal.

What could be wrong? The pedestals are all the same, the shafts are mounted correctly. I am using the correct bolts (slender), oil pressure is good. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
land rover explains on RAVE that the engine will lubricate with as little as 5 psi of oil when hot, I don't recall many of them gushing oil at the top end but more of a trickle or a bath.
unfortunately if your concern becomes valid it would have been too late to save the engine, there are a couple of upgrades you can perform to the oil pump in order to raise pressure and volume. contact D&D fabrications at aluminumv8.com, I have used their upgrade kit with positive results, 60 psi cold 20 hot.
I read a link in the past where advance auto and carquest had a similar kit listed under buick engine not land rover, never inquired about it.
Cheers and best of luck.
Carlos.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ok well I am not worried about the oil pressure since it is 1.5 bar (on the dash gauge) at idle hot (about 20 psi)

Actually I never really looked at both sides at the same time, so today I will remove both covers and observe the oil flow. If there was a blocked passage somewhere it would be unlikely to be the case at both sides. Both rocker assembles are made from new old stock LR parts so the tolerances are the same on both sides. It SHOULD show the same (limited) oil flow at both sides.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the driver side (left hand looking forward) rocker cover and made a quick video of the oil flow. It is pretty much the same as the oil flow I am seeing on the right hand side.

I checked everything, rocker shafts are orientated correctly, so I am concluding that with all new LR parts this is a normal oil flow...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts