RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak through the front outside rocker cover bolt on the right hand side of the car. Did some research, tried tighten the bolt up a bit as it was quite loose, having tightened it unfortunately it still leaks. Pretty quickly too, started the car and within a minute or two I can see some oil coming up already. The rest of the cover seems to be fine, a bit of sweating but no drips. Do I need to replace the gasket or is there some kind of sealant on the bolt that has gone missing and could be replaced?

Thanks!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,671 Posts
you've lost the metal spacers that fit in the gasketholes

·
Registered
128 Posts
New gasket, almost as cheap as a tube of sealant anyway. It's just a rubber gasket (with metal rings on the bolt holes), easy to change

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
If it continues to leak, which it will, replace the PCV valve to a more common FV308. Remove the breather from the left side rocker cover that leads to the upper intake. Remove the metal stud from the rocker cover with vicegrips and then remove the plastic portion. Reinstall. Unscrew the old connection off of the upper intake and screw in the FV308 PCV.

This fixed ALL of my oil leaks. Barely any on the sump now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a chance, got the bolt out and stuck an o-ring on there as a temporary measure. That's stopped the leak at the bolt. Unfortunately the engine is still leaking oil somewhere so the leak past the bolt wasn't my only leak :roll:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I took a chance, got the bolt out and stuck an o-ring on there as a temporary measure. That's stopped the leak at the bolt. Unfortunately the engine is still leaking oil somewhere so the leak past the bolt wasn't my only leak :roll:

What did you expect? It's a Land Rover.. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Reinhoud
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing