RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had out RRS about 2 months now and have had the windshield (heated) chipped/cracked twice in almost the same place (lower bottom on driver's side) by rocks I guess during the winter weather here in the Wash, DC, area. insurance company has sent SafeLite out twice to repair the chip/crack so lucky so far we haven't had to 'replace' the windshield (and good luck with that with an apparent shortage of heated windshields). Neither my wife or I recall an actual "rock strike" that was noticeable. Just wondering if any other owners of the 2014 RRS have experienced anything similar?

·
Registered
732 Posts
You're scaring me.

So far, no chips yet, knock on wood. Glad it's repairable for you, otherwise it could be pricey and like you said, no parts available.

Does the insurance companies even know that these have heated windshields (I'm sure they do, since they have VINs), wonder if it'll drive up the premiums.

-ThinkMac-

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Most every NAS Rangie in the past 20 years has had a heated windscreen. This would hardly be a surprise to any insurance company nor would the premiums suddenly change.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
What's more surprising is that you actually got the heated windshield you were promised and the factory didn't mess it during the build. See other thread ...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's more surprising is that you actually got the heated windshield you were promised and the factory didn't mess it during the build. See other thread ...
Actually we got lucky and after visiting 5 Land Rover dealers over a 3 week period in Virginia and Maryland we found the one one bought in the dealer inventory on December 5th. We went and bought a lottery ticket after that find!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've had out RRS about 2 months now and have had the windshield (heated) chipped/cracked twice in almost the same place (lower bottom on driver's side) by rocks I guess during the winter weather here in the Wash, DC, area. insurance company has sent SafeLite out twice to repair the chip/crack so lucky so far we haven't had to 'replace' the windshield (and good luck with that with an apparent shortage of heated windshields). Neither my wife or I recall an actual "rock strike" that was noticeable. Just wondering if any other owners of the 2014 RRS have experienced anything similar?
I stand corrected in my original post. The second different glass repair company showed up and refused to even attempt to repair the crack, saying they are not 'allowed' to repair heated windshields. He also thought heated windshield are more susceptable to breakage than non-heated ones because of the design. The guy seemed in a hurry to leave, so my wife didn't have time to call the Land Rover dealer service department to ask them about repairing it or not. So we called the first glass repair place back and they are coming out this week to fix the second crack. When she did get a hold of LR Service Rep he wasn't really knowledgeable about heated windshields, but did say he would get it repaired so the crack doesn't get worse ensuing in a $1,200.00 bill for replacement (or whatever you insurance deductible is, in my case $500.00).

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I've had a few LRs with heated windscreens and never had an issue. The best advice to avoid rocks in windscreen is not to tailgate on the highway. I've lived on the East Coast (NYC) for many years and most people tailgate and then wonder why their windscreens get cracked by flying rocks. Stay at least 3-seconds or so behind who you're following and this may help reduce the odds of it happening. It'll also help reduce rock chips on the bonnet.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,966 Posts
I try to do the opposite. I stay close but not tailgate just enough that if a rock decides to be airborne it hits the bumper not the hood or windshield. then again, my RRS doesn't take long drives just local;)

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I try to do the opposite. I stay close but not tailgate just enough that if a rock decides to be airborne it hits the bumper not the hood or windshield. then again, my RRS doesn't take long drives just local;)
Catch the rocks early, why not.

Nothing against women drivers... but back East I used to see women tailgate more than anyone else and they were downright vicious on the road. LOL.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Catch the rocks early, why not.

Nothing against women drivers... but back East I used to see women tailgate more than anyone else and they were downright vicious on the road. LOL.
There are actually explanations why women tailgate or cut in front of other cars real close. of course there are always exception as it's a bell curve. 1. they tend to lack sense of spatial or 3 dimensional awareness and what seems close to men seems like plenty of space to them. 2. socially they are used to "ladies first" so they expect others to let them through first. 3. PMS

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
There are actually explanations why women tailgate or cut in front of other cars real close. of course there are always exception as it's a bell curve. 1. they tend to lack sense of spatial or 3 dimensional awareness and what seems close to men seems like plenty of space to them. 2. socially they are used to "ladies first" so they expect others to let them through first. 3. PMS
LOL

Well done. `)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Who told you it was a rock? Have you seen the other threads where another LR cracked at the bottom? Here's where two of mine have cracked at the top, with no impact.

When my heated 2015 Land Rover Sport windshield cracked at the top, I knew there was something wrong. My Land Rover 2013 Sport had done the EXACT same thing while Iw as on the road on the way to a funeral. It was cold outside and I was heading North. It had been warm and then a cold front passed through, the rain came, I turned on the windshield heater and BAM! It split from the top. No rock, no strike, no aliens.

My service rep, upon looking at said "We've never seen break like that." We paid to replace it.

In 2016, my Land Rover 2015 was sitting in the driveway, acres away from everyone and everything except birds. an the windshield broke. That morning, it was just a little crack right at the top. That afternoon, it had cracked down, cracked sideway, and bisected the entire windshield.

I took it into Land Rover. The service rep said, "We've never seen anything like this."

Oh, really? By now the crack had spread so that to even drive the car would be incredibly unsafe. In less than 24 hours, it was completely broken.

Our Land Rover dealership had a third party auto glass company take a look at the windshield when they were out to repair yet another Land Rover windshield. I asked both my service rep and the service manager for the name of the person who looked at the windshield. "Colton" was the name they gave me. "No one else?" "Nope, no one else."

Colton, it turns out, is a trainee. A trainee looked at it and "determined" that it was a rock hit that broke the windshield.

I called the auto glass dealership to speak with the owner. The woman on the phone said it wasn't a trainee who looked at the windshield, but the owner.

I asked to speak with the owner. Remember, my windshield is bisected from top to bottom and side to side in less than 24 hours from a "rock hit" that took a picture magnification to find.

The owner then called and the story changed again. It wasn't him who looked at the windshield. Now it was someone named "Josh" who had over a year's worth of experience.

So my completely broken, unsafe, windshield now has had a three story change and it was Josh that looked at it in spite of everything the service rep and the service manager said.

Back to Land Rover corporate, who is handling my case. Janie or Jennie depending on how she pronounces her name that day, does not have a voicemail set up. So I had to keep calling to get her.

I asked to speak with someone who would be able to make a determination based on this being the second windshield that had cracked in the same place.

This, I was informed, is never done. I asked to escalate it. There is, I was informed, no such thing. I asked who I would speak to if I felt after speaking to her that my problem was not cleared up.

That would be the manager, but they only handle administration, not problems.

I asked to be contacted by a manager.

ONE WEEK LATER.

Kathleen called. Lo and behold! If you have two Land Rover, two windshields that break in the same place, then yes, by all means, they should be looked at. Still waiting for a reply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts