RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn’t feel like dropping an extra $3500 on a wrap. Flux silver satin Matte - everything I’ve read says it’s better to just live with it than attempt a touch up (even with an expert paint shop). Any one deal with this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
It looks like something that can be buffed out...try using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or Meguiars ScratchX...I've had great success removing scratches with both of those.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
It looks like something that can be buffed out...try using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or Meguiars ScratchX...I've had great success removing scratches with both of those.
You CANNOT buff Satin Matte you will ruin it. any hard rubbing or buffing will smooth out the matte finish and cause it to shine.

RoverinTX.... It is really a judgment call. any attempt at touch up would most likely make it worse, its on a very wide flat area that will pick up light very easily. You would have to decide if you could live with it the way it is or attempt a small airbrush touch up. but in my opinion i would live with it. the other alternative is to have the whole hood sprayed but even then there would be no guarantee that the matte finish would match the other panels. This is the problem with matte pray jobs the whole job needs to be sprayed in the same manner so when it dries the light reflects of of it the same way, any touch ups will cause the light to reflect in a different manner and draw your eye to it much more than those annoying white lines. Matte is beautiful but very difficult and costly to maintain properly from even the chemicals used to wash and even drying it by hand can be dangerous. any hard rubbing can cause glossing.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
You CANNOT buff Satin Matte you will ruin it. any hard rubbing or buffing will smooth out the matte finish and cause it to shine.

RoverinTX.... It is really a judgment call. any attempt at touch up would most likely make it worse, its on a very wide flat area that will pick up light very easily. You would have to decide if you could live with it the way it is or attempt a small airbrush touch up. but in my opinion i would live with it. the other alternative is to have the whole hood sprayed but even then there would be no guarantee that the matte finish would match the other panels. This is the problem with matte pray jobs the whole job needs to be sprayed in the same manner so when it dries the light reflects of of it the same way, any touch ups will cause the light to reflect in a different manner and draw your eye to it much more than those annoying white lines. Matte is beautiful but very difficult and costly to maintain properly from even the chemicals used to wash and even drying it by hand can be dangerous. any hard rubbing can cause glossing.

Wow! Yes, in that case I guess it's best to just live with it. I have no experience with Matte paint so I apologize for suggesting that you try buffing it out. The products that I suggested were used on gloss/clear coat paint finish and it works great.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover MkIV / L405
18 Posts
Not to be a prick but this is why I didn't get a Matte paint job for my 2019. I asked my good friend who does all my detailing and he said don't get this paint option for this one reason. Paint matching is near impossible especially since it wouldn't be from the factory and the littlest of paint chips would drive me crazy knowing they are there. I wonder if it's possible to get that protection film that you would put on the front part of your hood/fenders? :think:
Wow! Yes, in that case I guess it's best to just live with it. I have no experience with Matte paint so I apologize for suggesting that you try buffing it out. The products that I suggested were used on gloss/clear coat paint finish and it works great.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
No problem, just didnt want anyone to make a mistake.. I love my vehicles and take great care of them, thats not to say i love the chore of taking care of them. although I love matte finish i couldn't deal with the extra work and worry of damage and repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts