Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I finished revamping my 4.0 V8 manual (Piper), which was put aside last winter with a coolant leak. A new radiator fixed the problem and GENIIIs together with a rebuild compressor make sure the EAS is now in good condition.
However, I am unable to access any of the ECU's with the Rovacom. I tried to use it to raise the vehicle after fitting the GENIIIs, but it wouldn't communicate. I could hear the EAS ECU 'clicking' when the Rovacom was activated, but to no avail. The same happens when trying to access the engine ECU, HEVAC or BECM. Everything is working as it should (apart from the AC), but I still don't feel comfortable, especially as I'm planning to fit a different engine (mildy tweaked 4.6 8) ). The strangest thing is, when I bought the car, about a year ago, I WAS able to use Rovacom, and had even switched the engine ECU to try and diagnose another Rangie.
The connectors on the driver side (LH) seem to be in good order, nothing unusual to see near the OBD-connector either.
The car had been in storage for about 8 months, but with the battery connected and recharged regularly. She started first try, and has been running great ever since.

Greetz,

Filip
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chas said:
I think you would be better off asking this query in the Diagnostic Forum, or even better on the Forum Blackbox run.
The obvious questions are around what have you changed on your PC since when it did work?
Installed IE8 by any chance?
What version of the VE software are you running?
To Blackbox it might be critical which form of 'Rovacom' you are running.
No changes to the diagnostic tool, I'm using a Rovacom MK1 and it is still performing as should when used on other cars.
Therefore I'm assuming the problem lies with the car, possible due to the long period of inactivity.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Colin, thanks for the info, I'll pop over to the BBS forum as well. :wink:

Tonight I'll hook up to Rovacom again to see if I get any sounds or other signs of live trying to access the different systems.
I am inclined to thinking it is indeed a faulty earth or something, possibly because of oxidation while the vehicle was sitting in storage. Fact is I can get into none of the systems.

Still convinced the Rovacom is not at fault, have been using it on several vehicles and it always as it should.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, found a few minutes to spare on Saturday and hooke up the Rovacom again.
Much to my amazement, everything now works, apart from the EAS. Apparently fiddling with the OBD connector did make a difference, but we failed to notice it right away. This meand I can get on with work on the car, such as upgrading the engine. 8)

I'll check the connection to the EAS ECU again, but because it does seem to activate when plugging in the Rovacom, I'm not sure. I could try swapping the ECU as well, have a spare one lying about.

Greetz,

Filip
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top