Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I finished revamping my 4.0 V8 manual (Piper), which was put aside last winter with a coolant leak. A new radiator fixed the problem and GENIIIs together with a rebuild compressor make sure the EAS is now in good condition.
However, I am unable to access any of the ECU's with the Rovacom. I tried to use it to raise the vehicle after fitting the GENIIIs, but it wouldn't communicate. I could hear the EAS ECU 'clicking' when the Rovacom was activated, but to no avail. The same happens when trying to access the engine ECU, HEVAC or BECM. Everything is working as it should (apart from the AC), but I still don't feel comfortable, especially as I'm planning to fit a different engine (mildy tweaked 4.6 8) ). The strangest thing is, when I bought the car, about a year ago, I WAS able to use Rovacom, and had even switched the engine ECU to try and diagnose another Rangie.
The connectors on the driver side (LH) seem to be in good order, nothing unusual to see near the OBD-connector either.
The car had been in storage for about 8 months, but with the battery connected and recharged regularly. She started first try, and has been running great ever since.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think you would be better off asking this query in the Diagnostic Forum, or even better on the Forum Blackbox run.
The obvious questions are around what have you changed on your PC since when it did work?
Installed IE8 by any chance?
What version of the VE software are you running?
To Blackbox it might be critical which form of 'Rovacom' you are running.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chas said:
I think you would be better off asking this query in the Diagnostic Forum, or even better on the Forum Blackbox run.
The obvious questions are around what have you changed on your PC since when it did work?
Installed IE8 by any chance?
What version of the VE software are you running?
To Blackbox it might be critical which form of 'Rovacom' you are running.
No changes to the diagnostic tool, I'm using a Rovacom MK1 and it is still performing as should when used on other cars.
Therefore I'm assuming the problem lies with the car, possible due to the long period of inactivity.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Escape
As you will glean from studying any wiring diagrams for the vehicles diagnostic connections or indeed the diagnostic lead, down loadable from the BBS forums,
The P38 has 3 separate diagnostic communications buses that all use different pins on the Diagnostic socket.
We call these, A, B and C for convenience,
C is a data pair used only for the Air suspension, This is in conjunction with a timer relay control wire, hence the clicking sound you are getting during he wake up attempts.
B is a data pair in the car which we short to one pin in the OBDII and is used only for the Airbag.

Leaving only A to be used for absolutely everything else. Naturally you should hear no clicking when attempting to access an ECU on channel A.

It is highly unlikely that you have a problem on the vehicle or indeed the Rovacom causing failure to communicate on all 3 buses.
Unless you have a faulty earth etc.

But it's worth while knowing and remembering exactly how the systems are divided up.

I like your assumption though, it makes a refreshing change :lol: :lol: :lol:
Of course now i said that it will probably turn out to be your Rovacom :|

Chas, as you say, Critical information to us and anyone trying to help :p
And yet we almost always have to ask that, but at least there was a wealth of other info to go on.

Regards

Colin

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Colin, thanks for the info, I'll pop over to the BBS forum as well. :wink:

Tonight I'll hook up to Rovacom again to see if I get any sounds or other signs of live trying to access the different systems.
I am inclined to thinking it is indeed a faulty earth or something, possibly because of oxidation while the vehicle was sitting in storage. Fact is I can get into none of the systems.

Still convinced the Rovacom is not at fault, have been using it on several vehicles and it always as it should.

·
Registered
520 Posts
No worries chap, you will know where to find me if you need any help.

And watch out for that ABS, after communicating with it, sometimes even if it cops out and causes an error, it is still awake and it ties up the whole of channel A so nothing on that channel can be spoken to, including the ABS itself, until the Ign is reset. :roll:

That actually catches a lot of people out, annoyingly it gives the impression that the equipment is intermittent or is over heating because it starts working ok, cus they chat with a few ECU's etc, then suddenly stops working which un plugging and resetting the Rovacom does not improve. Logic dictates the vehicle is OK cus it was working a minute ago. in frustration many unplug and switch of to go fume, let things cool down and have a cuppa, only to find when they come back, sure enough it's working again, but not for long.

Even when on just the ABS, i bet you click on read faults, which it flawlessly gets every time and makes you feel quite elated to be able to so easily access them, then you click on clear fault codes and after a few seconds it comes up with nothing but an annoying Red error screen for what seems like no reason. Which is of course a total let down just after it built you up just to make it even more infuriating when you are busy and you don't remember to reset the ign and just skip over the in screen reminder in auto pilot mode.

Or is that just me :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, found a few minutes to spare on Saturday and hooke up the Rovacom again.
Much to my amazement, everything now works, apart from the EAS. Apparently fiddling with the OBD connector did make a difference, but we failed to notice it right away. This meand I can get on with work on the car, such as upgrading the engine. 8)

I'll check the connection to the EAS ECU again, but because it does seem to activate when plugging in the Rovacom, I'm not sure. I could try swapping the ECU as well, have a spare one lying about.

Greetz,

Filip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts