Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the rig out for some heavy duty towing..worked well all day..did 160 mile with 6700 lbs behind it... smooth.she now has 310,000 miles on the odometer , original engine , transmission and ..all work just fine.
Automotive parking light Cloud Wheel Tire Sky

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
828 Posts
I love the towing capabilities of the RR as with most Rovers.
I used mine to move my P38 from Austin to Houston up and down hills. Kept the speed down to around 60 though.
The P38 is about 6200 lbs I believe. Plus I had loaded some items in the back making it heavier.
The U-Haul car hauler is a beast at about 2500 lbs.
probably about 9000 lbs. Yes I know. Over the limit. But she did great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lenlo

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love the towing capabilities of the RR as with most Rovers.
I used mine to move my P38 from Austin to Houston up and down hills. Kept the speed down to around 60 though.
The P38 is about 6200 lbs I believe. Plus I had loaded some items in the back making it heavier.
The U-Haul car hauler is a beast at about 2500 lbs.
probably about 9000 lbs. Yes I know. Over the limit. But she did great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats awesome.. amazing vehicles for sure.. i had some windage from passing cars due to my high side walls on the stacker but generally it was an OK trip

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
46 Posts
I have a enclosed trailer that weighs 5500 lbs empty.
The issue is the cabinets in the front make the tongue pretty heavy & the last time I hooked it up I blew out the front air bags (127k on the originals... I’m sure they were ready to go), & now I’m concerned that it’s to much weight.

I’m pretty sure there’s 700 or so pounds of tongue weight. Do you think I can pull it if I use an equalizer hitch?

It’s a 2006 RR SC with 128000 (mostly) trouble-free miles.

·
Registered
L322 - 2005, 2006 na, 2012 sc
431 Posts
Max tongue weight is 550 pounds without weight distribution hitch and 750# with. Blew out front airbags? I guess it's possible maybe by over extending them if the vehicle was really sagging on the rear.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a enclosed trailer that weighs 5500 lbs empty.
The issue is the cabinets in the front make the tongue pretty heavy & the last time I hooked it up I blew out the front air bags (127k on the originals... I’m sure they were ready to go), & now I’m concerned that it’s to much weight.

I’m pretty sure there’s 700 or so pounds of tongue weight. Do you think I can pull it if I use an equalizer hitch?

It’s a 2006 RR SC with 128000 (mostly) trouble-free miles.
well.. i would say your airbags were just ready to go.. that stacker i towed to days ago has 100 lbs on the tongue and is 6800 lbs .. i towed it for 160 miles and my rear air bags are originals.. i changed the fronts three year ago.. i had no issues .. the vehicle can tow up to 7700 lbs so i dont think your 6k lod is excessive.

A general rule of thumb in towing is 60% of weight should be towards the front an 40% on the back end to avoid fish tailing on the highway.
As you can see in the photo the car is holding up just fine with a double the rated load tongue weight lol.. i abuse it but it seems to take it ok.. AND i have 310,000 miles on my odometer original transmission , engine etc.. i do have a small oil leak on my tranny that has ben there for the last year or so .. i’m hoping to tear it down and sort it out soon.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Max tongue weight is 550 pounds without weight distribution hitch and 750# with. Blew out front airbags? I guess it's possible maybe by over extending them if the vehicle was really sagging on the rear.
As soon as you hook up the 7 way plug the towing eco takes over ride height , the only way you get to sag the car is if you leave a door open as you hook up the trailer , the suspension disengages function when a door is opened and resumes when all doors are closed.
you cannot make any adjustments to your heights when the towing system takes over and it loads the suspensions to almost mudding heights when it detects a trailer load.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
So... @pontoon , you’re saying th high tongue weight of my trailer won’t be an issue?

(Your post says 100lbs, & I think you meant 1000lbs, but I want to be sure).

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
PS... I’ve “stalked” your posts a bit, & want to congratulate you on the big miles!
I hope mine goes that long. Love my Rover!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So... @pontoon , you’re saying th high tongue weight of my trailer won’t be an issue?

(Your post says 100lbs, & I think you meant 1000lbs, but I want to be sure).
correction it was actually 1100 lbs tongue weight on mine.. no issues.. im saying for a stress free tow you need to have the right weight balance on the trailer and 60/40 front to back is the general ratio to avoid fishtailing.

if you attempt to have more weight on the back than the front you will be setting yourself up for failure the highway you can tow up to 7700 lbs with these things... that does not mean your tongue weight will be super high... 12% of the total weight is acceptable tongue weight on towing

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Don't forget that tongue weight is also considered part of your payload. So at 1100 you are getting close to the GVW limit. I've always used the tongue weight as 10% of trailer weight but you can go over. For estimating with the RR, I move the load forward until I see a couple inches of sag with the door open, the tie down and close the door. Cars as payload are nice for that adjustability.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
correction it was actually 1100 lbs tongue weight on mine.. no issues.. im saying for a stress free tow you need to have the right weight balance on the trailer and 60/40 front to back is the general ratio to avoid fishtailing.

if you attempt to have more weight on the back than the front you will be setting yourself up for failure the highway you can tow up to 7700 lbs with these things... that does not mean your tongue weight will be super high... 12% of the total weight is acceptable tongue weight on towing
Being under 7700 lbs won’t be an issue for me. I was just worried about the heavy tongue weight.
Thank you for the clarification.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts