RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4.5 months and 6500 km's into ownership and loving the car. No real gripes apart from a few minor warranty issues early days.

Just done a 2000 km plus road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne, then back over 4 days along the Great Ocean Road. 2 adults, 2 kids and a weeks’ worth of clothing/gear. The car never missed a beat although I did think the luggage space was a little smaller than my Mercedes ML with luggage piled high so I could not use the rear mirror. I rarely fill up the luggage space in general use so not really a long term issue.

Very comfortable long distance cruiser from Adelaide to Melbourne......stick it in cruise at 110kph and relax. Only used 2/3 of a tank doing 750km so was impressed by the economy which was something close to the claimed JLR Extra Urban figure of 7.6L/100KM (37mpg).
Then on the GOR it was great along the twisty roads although with the family in tow it was not a time to be putting the foot down. A few shots below of the Rangie en route.

Went through some horrendous weather on the way back from Mt Gambier with monsoon rain and heavy winds but the RRS was firm and steady, even at speed through standing water.

Great road trip in a fantastic car.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Great photos! Im glad you are enjoying your RRS. These vehicles are truly something keeps you wanting to drive it more and more or thats just my case haha!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great report and a legendary road - thanks for sharing. I think I read that the SDV8 will be retired soon so you will have a unique motor. Does Vic or SA use average speed cameras (your comment re. cruising at 110 on the M highways)? That was my only concern cruising in NSW where we often spend our winters... (Aussie summer).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great report and a legendary road - thanks for sharing. I think I read that the SDV8 will be retired soon so you will have a unique motor. Does Vic or SA use average speed cameras (your comment re. cruising at 110 on the M highways)? That was my only concern cruising in NSW where we often spend our winters... (Aussie summer).
Thanks NorthMac. It wouldn't surprise me about the SDV8, it is an older Ford designed engine and wont last the constant emissions reductions. The newer more advanced SDV6 is slowly catching up to its power and torque levels with greater fuel economy. I know JLR are looking to use the Ingenium engines going forward in the RRS but not sure if they will push to a V8 diesel. It would be a shame if it goes.......but then I might just have to get a V8SC instead....****!!

VIC and SA do have average speed cameras but only in certain locations and they are well signed. Generally its the mobile speed cameras to look out for or the Police using hand held devices. There are plenty of unmarked SUV's which park on the side of the road and you only know you have been caught when the lights/camera goes off behind you as it is mounted low down on the front bull bar. In VIC there are cameras under certain bridges on freeways, so plenty of ways to lose your licence. If you dont know the area best stick to the limit. VIC is well known for heavily enforcing speed regulations with $$millions in revenue collected every year from fines. Hence......cruise control :doh:

I did have a little play at the beginning of the GOR until SWMBO stepped in....:naughty: Reminded me of the time last year when I was choosing between the RRS SDV8 and the Cayenne Diesel S. Took the missus out for a drive in the loaner Cayenne .....I dont think she let go of the handles once!!! lol. That was one of the reasons the RRS was chosen. Good choice.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,224 Posts
Very nice pictures. Love those rims!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like comment about having to curb your driving style with family in the car. We recently took a road trip to the Outer Banks in N.C. and there are some awesome twisty stretches of highway through the mountains. I had to keep reminding myself that my Mother in law in the back seat was probably not going to enjoy how I would have preferred to drive through those sections, especially in an SUV that most people don't expect to be so capable handling-wise! Great pictures!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts