Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Problem.
I have noticed that I have a rather great deal of dust getting in the cab when I drive on dirt/gravel roads.
The conditions.
Any gravel road in Oklahoma. No cars in front of me. Speeds from 25-45 mph. Windows up or down. The dust becomes visible in the cab starting in the back.
Vehicle.
1993 Range Rover LWB. I looked at the rubbers around the rear lift gate yesterday afternoon. They are quite "flat".
Theory.
I'm guessing the window is not sealing correctly from the less than perfect rubbers.
Repairs.
Other than replacing the rear rubber completely, has any one tried stuffing the rubber with a material that might make it seal better?
Is there another place that I might investigate for dust getting into the cab?

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I got my '95, that was greatly neglected, I soaked all the seals with glycerin from Walmart pharmacy section @$4 a bottle. It supposed to restore rubber and it did. I use a syringe to inject it to the little draining holes. Now glycerin and dust would make big, hard to clean mess, but with time it soaks in nicely. I also stuff some vacuum tubing into the seals and works great. I have done it with thin window sealing thread, you know the gray round foam, but that stayed flat and it was hard to push it in deep.
Maybe if you drive the same roads often enough, all the Rover leaks should put some oil on the road , just like they do county roads in summer time to keep the dust down. ;-)
BTW I appreciate you website "how to" fix stuff!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Okie! I was working in KS a couple of years ago and had 10 miles of gravel to and from the site. I feel your pain. I had the same issues but with working 70 - 80 hrs a week I was too lazy to do anything about it : ) You might see if there is some generic weather stripping that would have the same profile as our euro rides.

I have also checked your site a few times looking for answers. Keep it up!

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm going to go with an insert and see if I can get the seal I'm looking for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts