RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 55 plate sport which was disguingly filthy so took it for a valet. Now when I went to pick it up it would t start. There was loads of water under the front footwells so thought the worse. I told the Valeters I came in driving and want to drive it out. They denied any responsibility at first but then agreed to take the front seats out and dry it out. Now it will start, but not all the time. The glow plug light dosnt always come one. When it does star it won’t idle. As long as it’s revved up it will run, but as soon as I
Take my foot of the gas it will cut out. There has never been a problem like
This before I took it for the valet. Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what’s wrong. Obviously water , but where has it got into. Any help
Would be really appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
728 Posts
Cant help with your question but what is a 55 Plate Sport? I have never heard of that model before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
55 plate refers to the age of the vehicle. It was sold half way through 2005 I believe. In the UK the plates stay with the vehicle and not the owner so the number on the plate tells everyone how old your car is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like you have a water leak. The common issue is the sunroof drains. They are rubber hoses than run down the A-pillar and dump water outside of the car near the front wheels. If one of those hose breaks then they no longer dump the water outside - instead they dump the water into the footwell. There are YouTube videos on how to fix’s it yourself and the hoses are $10-20 here in the US.
There also the possibility that they lefty the windows open. If you want to be sure then dry out the carpets (that will take a while - especially at this time of year - and then pour water on the sunroof while checking the exit end of the hose. If you find the water in your footwell you know where it came from.
The water from these hoses can put water over the electrical box in the foot well so I’m guessing thats the cause of your electrical gremlins. I’d suggest you look up the electrical system and where the relay or fuse is for that system - in this case your glow plugs. If its in the footwell that waterlogged then you should just be able to dry it out and get back on the road again. Good luck!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
728 Posts
55 plate refers to the age of the vehicle. It was sold half way through 2005 I believe. In the UK the plates stay with the vehicle and not the owner so the number on the plate tells everyone how old your car is.
Ok thanks - I guess it is just a UK thing.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
yea it regional slang for licensing. It means absolutely nothing in the real world. It has nothing to do with when any vehicle is produced. That's why we ask for actual model year, engine, and trim level in signatures, so we we can accurately answer technical questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts