Range Rovers Forum banner

Rl7 and fuse box change.

963 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mrmachinist 
#1 ·
Ok I’m burning up the RL7 relay. Fuse box is cracked underneath.

I found this because my driver blower motor was not working. I swapped a relay and it worked for a while then burned that one. Anything I should check other than a new fuse box? I don’t want to keep burning relays.

I did get the ac pressure correct and it’s blowing cold now just weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Unfortunately, a that crack you see and possibly melt marks is the beginning of the end. A failing fuse box is quite common on these. There are many theories as to why it happens, everything from the PCB traces aren't wide enough for the current carrying capacity over time, clogged filters causing extra load on blower motors, etc. One thing that is for certain is that you have an increase in the amount of resistance causing a higher current to be pulled, therefore damaging the fox further. One diagnostic you could do is hook an amp clamp on the wire that goes directly to the blower from the fuse box and see what it's pulling. Could then pop off the connector from the underside of the box and power it from there to see what it's pulling as well. then compare the two.

As things get worse with the fuse box, you'll start to see all sorts of odd things happen, gearbox faults, things not working right. So, my vote is to just pony up a little bit and get a new box for the ole rangey. I've rebuilt them a few times soldering all new connections and beefing up certain traces, and you really need to make sure you do it properly otherwise the solder joints will just crack again with all the vibrations. With the box removed, you could do some more detailed tests on how the wiring is, but my vote is to just replace the box and save yourself some future headaches. Best of luck.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. I was reluctantly planning on putting a new box. I’m ready for the fun stuff (lift, tires, off road armor, etc) with this truck. But I guess it needs some tlc before I get to that point.

I was wondering if there were tests for the blower to keep this from being a recurring problem after a new box. I’ve read where some ran a bigger wire to the fan, moved the relay out of the box, added a cooling fan, etc. any of this worth the effort?

#6 ·
It will recur in about 20 years time when the new fusebox reaches the same age as the one you've got in there at the moment. There's all sorts of bodges around that only prolong the inevitable, the fusebox will fail end of. Fit a new one and forget it.

Reactions: mrmachinist
#8 ·
My solution, still running strong with this slight modification of a new fusebox:

#9 ·
Ok I’m burning up the RL7 relay. Fuse box is cracked underneath.

I found this because my driver blower motor was not working. I swapped a relay and it worked for a while then burned that one. Anything I should check other than a new fuse box? I don’t want to keep burning relays.

I did get the ac pressure correct and it’s blowing cold now just weak.

I fixed mine by hanging a 30 Amp relay outside the fuse box (the relay with the larger connectors.) In the fuse box cut some small holes to allow the wires to leave the fuse box.

Get a new normal size relay or an old one if it is not corroded or burnt and run the wires to the 30 amp outside relay by smashing off the plastic case and soldering wires to the exposed base which can then be plugged into the fuse box. Some people cut a hole above the hot relay in the fuse box cover to allow it to cool better, but it can still damage the fuse box connectors. Better to place a 30 amp relay outside the fuse box. Then, no more trouble. Hopefully the connectors in your fuse box are still OK. Mine were OK even after replacing 3 relays. Good luck.

#10 ·
I fixed mine by hanging a 30 Amp relay outside the fuse box (the relay with the larger connectors.) In the fuse box cut some small holes to allow the wires to leave the fuse box.

Get a new normal size relay or an old one if it is not corroded or burnt and run the wires to the 30 amp outside relay by smashing off the plastic case and soldering wires to the exposed base which can then be plugged into the fuse box. Some people cut a hole above the hot relay in the fuse box cover to allow it to cool better, but it can still damage the fuse box connectors. Better to place a 30 amp relay outside the fuse box. Then, no more trouble. Hopefully the connectors in your fuse box are still OK. Mine were OK even after replacing 3 relays. Good luck.
I ordered a new fuse box already and I found some 40 amp relays.

I popped in a relay last night and I’ll see how it lasts for the next few days until the new box comes in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.