RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be getting a 2nd hand set of side steps shortly. They have the brackets, but will need some rivnuts for the chassis. Have been told they're a strange type and only available from the stealers for stupid money. Found this which seems to agree.

Anyone know of any alternatives??

·
Registered
229 Posts
Rogan, They use 10mm rawlbolts which is why the brackets are made with a built in spacer. You'll see what I mean when you see the brackets. I have had three P38's with sidesteps and they have all been the same fixings. I can't seem to make sense of that link.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought aftermarket side steps (Westin Sure Grip) and fabricated custom brackets. I used the factory mounting points,the holes in the frame and 5/16" rivenuts. Unfortunatly 5/16 is slightly too big and required a few hours of grinding, filing the holes out. Some holes are easy and some are near impossible to get to, require a rt angle drill and shortened bits. It does seem strong now that its all done, I wasnt sure the rivnuts would hold but if its good enough for the factory , I guees its good for me

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rivet-nuts-rivnut-nutsert-nutserts-5-16-18-steel-10pc_W0QQitemZ290349265003QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439a2a306b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_1182

David

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spoke to Morris, they feed a nut and washer into the chassis and bolt into it. Just went and checked my car to see how easy that'd be to do.

Huge result, someone had sidesteps on before and rivnuts are already there. Just need some M8 bolts and washers now according to Rave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts