RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my leaky front airbags swapped for new ones a couple of days ago and had asked the fitter to investigate why I occasionally when the steering is fully locked to one side and the EAS is at normal driving height, a scraping sound is heard.

Apparently, the tyres touch the mud flaps - the flaps apear to be fitted securely and correctly. I am rolling on 19's (can't remember the profile) so they aren't exactly massive.

About 6 months ago, whilst reading up about track rods and drag links, I saw something about rim foul if one of the aforementioned parts is not fitted at the correct angle. Would anyone be kind enough to elaborate, as I am currently a hundred miles away and my wife is the daily driver?

I had both track rod and drag link swapped and just wanted to make sure they were not the cause of the slight scrape.

As always any help, humour and ridicule would be greatly appreciated. :thumb:

·
Registered
129 Posts
If the wheels/tyres fitted are too wide, or larger diameter than stock, they may rub, its a common problem when fitting aftermarket wheels.

Did the tyres rub before you had the airbags changed, or only after the new ones were in?

Its not a big problem, unless you have to turn-to-lock a lot. Just don't turn the wheel the whole way around (might make parking a little trickier though...)

EDIT: Its not a big problem if the cause of it is that the wheels are larger than stock. It may be a problem if something is out of alignment

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ka177ran said:
I had both track rod and drag link swapped and just wanted to make sure they were not the cause of the slight scrape.
Have a vauge idea i read in Rave that if the Drag Link adjusting Clamp and Bolts are not positioned correctly the may foul the wheel rim, I would read through the Steering section of Rave you may find it.

Ka177ran said:
Apparently, the tyres touch the mud flaps - the flaps apear to be fitted securely and correctly. I am rolling on 19's (can't remember the profile) so they aren't exactly massive.
Also run 20" Supercharger wheels with 275/45/20" tyres they fouled the mudflap slightly but you can reposition the bracket slightly and also used hot air gun to heat wheel arch liner and reshape it a little bit. It only took a few minutes to do and now have no fouling even in access height.

Hope this heps.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mekadodo said:
Did the tyres rub before you had the airbags changed, or only after the new ones were in?
it's been happening for ages since I had the drag Link short ends changed.

Col said:
Have a vauge idea i read in Rave that if the Drag Link adjusting Clamp and Bolts are not positioned correctly the may foul the wheel rim, I would read through the Steering section of Rave you may find it.

Also run 20" Supercharger wheels with 275/45/20" tyres they fouled the mudflap slightly but you can reposition the bracket slightly and also used hot air gun to heat wheel arch liner and reshape it a little bit. It only took a few minutes to do and now have no fouling even in access height.
Cheers Col - do you have any pics of the allignment?

I am currently working away from home and do not have access to the Rave.

My wife is the daily driver of the P, hence why this is now an issue and has not been one before :shhh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts