RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the guys that have gone from the stock 20" rims to 22" rims.
How do you find the ride quality? I live in the NJ/NY region and I would still like to be able to get around the city without haveing to slow down for every bump in the road

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well I went form 19's to 22's. I for one can tell the difference, but not by much. You will feel the bumps more, and I find myself avoiding potholes like the plague. Just took a trip from KC to Denver, and the ride was nice. I did feel it though when I came to sections of the pavement where the "controled cracks" were noticeable. It will also depend on the road conditions out there.

But who cares about quality of the ride. 22's and up are for show, so you should be driving slower anyway to show dem bad boyz off!!!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
808 Posts
Oddly, I actually found that the ride quality improved - and I believe I know why. With the stock 20's, the tire sidewall (due to the size of the tire) fit the wheel perfectly, and as a result stood straight vertical. Bumps were transmitted vertically directly into the wheel, and then the truck.

With my new 22's, the tire is 30mm wider, and as such, the sidewall angles outward to the tread edge. It has resulted in a softer ride, because the sidewall has the angle to flex now if I hit a bump. I'm sure that also means that my new rims are not quite as protected from potholes as the old 20's were, though they are now better protected from curb rash. :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts