Range Rovers Forum banner

Ride quality on the 22" 5 split spokes? Other build questions inside...

7K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  directedby 
#1 ·
Ride quality on the 22" 5 split spokes? Other build questions inside...

Am planning on ordering a RRS HSE for my wife for delivery early next year, was thinking Firenze Red w/ ebony/ivory interior w/ micro mesh and ebony headliner. How will that combo work? Also what is the ride quality on the 22s for those who have them, especially compared w/ 21s? Thanks.

#4 ·
Re: Ride quality on the 22" 5 split spokes? Other build questions inside...

i like your color palette.

the 22" rims look amazing, and drive wonderfully on well-paved roads. however, they make an already firm ride even firmer. they do not soak up road imperfections. potholes hurt. off-roading is severely limited. i can't compare to the 21's as i have never driven a RRS with 21's. but they will obviously be more forgiving.

#6 ·

I find the 22s excellent for well paved roads. They really allow you to enjoy tight turns and look great. There is is a cost as the ride is stiffer and you feel the pot holes. 95% of my driving is on the highway and I have been very pleased.

#7 ·

I'm leaning toward the 22s, it'll be 100% on road driving, but it's my wife's car so I don't want to hear her complaining about the ride quality lol. It's annoying that the dealers don't even have demo vehicles to test, or at least ours doesn't.

Interiorwise I'm thinking ebony/ivory or ebony/lunar, but the lunar has some blue in it I believe, which may clash w/ the firenze red ext? Thoughts? If the aluminum micromesh looks cheap, I'll probably go w/ dark grey oak trim.

#8 ·

Hmmm I was thinking about switching to the Sports Textured Metal Aluminum Trim Finish. I might have to stay with the gray finish. As for the 22 they look cool but I don't think the ride will be what your expecting.

#13 ·

Hmmm I was thinking about switching to the Sports Textured Metal Aluminum Trim Finish. I might have to stay with the gray finish. As for the 22 they look cool but I don't think the ride will be what your expecting.
What's frustrating is my dealer doesn't have any stock to look at these interior options, I hate to ordering without having a fairly good idea what I'm going to get.

#10 ·

ebony headliner is the right choice i think. you dont want to have more than 3 colors in the interior as it can make the interior feel really messy. so i got myATB with ebony/pimento/ebony interior. i got it with the black piano finish. but when i got my car i feel like the black piano finish does not feel expansive at all. it makes the center console looks like a ford edge/explorer. i think the dark oak trim would look really nice.

#11 ·

How so? piano black finish is used in all sort of expensive cars including Roll Royce.
I have it and I think it looks really great espically during the day, my only problem with it is inevitable swirl marks.
ebony headliner is the right choice i think. you dont want to have more than 3 colors in the interior as it can make the interior feel really messy. so i got myATB with ebony/pimento/ebony interior. i got it with the black piano finish. but when i got my car i feel like the black piano finish does not feel expansive at all. it makes the center console looks like a ford edge/explorer. i think the dark oak trim would look really nice.

#14 ·

we had 21" then changed to 22". no significant change in ride quality but sharper handling and turn-in response which on a vehicle this big is great for maneuverability. on rough cobblestoned streets no appreciable difference. we don't off road but occasional sojourns on gravel and muddy road sand and high grass have never revealed a problem. if you do heavy snow or significant off-roading I'd recommend 20"s.
pics of our car are below.

the trim choice for us was piano black. reason: the wood veneers and alum trim look chintzy in my opinion. the edges of some of these appliques on some vehicles are visible and the wood lacquer in my opinion is subpar. not on the level of a 100K car imo. audi executes these better on a 35K A3. after the initial fine scratches of the black trim it still looks classy and upmarket.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/43-range-rover-sport-ii-l494/84361-our-new-autobiography-3.html

#15 ·

Thanks man, I remember you from the r8talk forum. :) My wife is pretty conservative so she decided against the firenze red. She wanted the Loire blue but I convinced her not to since it's essentially as difficult as black to maintain. So we settled on the classic but boring Indus Silver. :) Interior will be ebony/lunar w/ lunar seats, dark grey oak finisher, ebony morzine headliner, and we're getting 22" wheels. Dealer will try and add black pack if available, but if not I'll be painting all the emblems black as well as the side mirrors and powdercoating the wheels.

we had 21" then changed to 22". no significant change in ride quality but sharper handling and turn-in response which on a vehicle this big is great for maneuverability. on rough cobblestoned streets no appreciable difference. we don't off road but occasional sojourns on gravel and muddy road sand and high grass have never revealed a problem. if you do heavy snow or significant off-roading I'd recommend 20"s.
pics of our car are below.

the trim choice for us was piano black. reason: the wood veneers and alum trim look chintzy in my opinion. the edges of some of these appliques on some vehicles are visible and the wood lacquer in my opinion is subpar. not on the level of a 100K car imo. audi executes these better on a 35K A3. after the initial fine scratches of the black trim it still looks classy and upmarket.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/43-range-rover-sport-ii-l494/84361-our-new-autobiography-3.html

#16 ·

Ajag: That was the answer I have been looking for re 21 or 22 rims. Since I live in Florida and don't expect to do any offroading, I'm going with the beauty of the exclusive 22 inch ATB rims.

#17 ·

The 22s just look too good to pass up. If my wife isn't happy w/ the ride I'll sell 'em and get some 20s or 21s.

#18 ·

no doubt the 22's look amazing and on good roads, they are the obvious choice.

but be careful. i'm a former 22" owner who took my ATB on some minimal dirt roads and developed the notorious front-suspension knock/thunk. not to say it's the fault of the 22's... but they certainly didn't help.

#19 ·

Mine was fixed and it's back again but I have 21s. Poor quality suspension IMO not the tires. The car supposedly made for for off-road ability but can't take mild dirt roads? I doubt it. I think issue is suspension design.

#20 ·

Ok, wifey changed her mind and we're going w/ Firenze and keeping the 22s. Having difficulty w/ the sales guy working on the build, though. Yesterday he told me that Ebony/Lunar w/ Lunar seats is not available, only Ebony/Cirrus (w/ tinge of blue I don't want obviously). I know the online configurator is for 2014, but can anyone confirm that Ebony/Lunar is available for 2015 as well? He also told me stealth pack is only available w/ black exterior color, is that true? If so, that seems ridiculous.

#21 ·

Dealer had an unsold 2014.5 Firenze w/ Ebony/Ivory come in yesterday (HSE) w/ 22s that I went to check out just to verify the color was what we wanted. Looked great, the ivory interior unfortunately wouldn't handle our dogs/child so we're sticking w/ our 2015 order Firenze w/ Ebony/Lunar Jan delivery. If anyone is interested, this car was unsold as of yesterday, it's at Orland Park Land Rover in IL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.