RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ive fixed my engine problem after doing a head gasket , water /oil had run down the crank sensor cable sheath & causing bad connection all sweet now . But i have another question . Whats the standard ride height ? mines had the air bags swapped for springs at some stage & is very high off the ground . Its 500mm to lip of door sills & 875 mm from ground to innersidfe of the tailgate . Im 1.85 M tall yet cant even sit on the tailgate . Is there differnt spring heights ? This is only used for road .

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
3 Posts
Is the air suspension such a problem. What is involved in keeping on top of it.... i cant understand why people would swap out for springs unless it was simply massively expensive to keep on top of. i am a 24 hour researcher so i could be missing the fundamental reasons for the swap.

·
Super Moderator
2,318 Posts
Standard ride height depends on what height you have selected on the EAS switch......

However, as you are on springs it is whatever height it is at. If it is as high as it is, it may be that whoever fitted the springs also fitted spacers to raise the height. Have a look and see if there are spacers between the base of the springs and the axles, if there are, take them out. While you are under there you could always put air springs back instead.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
You could try to use the search function for standard heights of a P38. Takes less time than making a new thread, or adding your location and year of P38 to your signature....Hint hint
The height is measured from the center of a wheel to the under side of the fender lip. Any other measurement is useless as it depends on tire sizes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
P38_EAS_HEIGHTS.jpg

Air suspension ride heights attached, if it helps

·
Super Moderator
2,318 Posts
Is the air suspension such a problem. What is involved in keeping on top of it....
Nothing much. About every 15 years or so you'll need to replace the air springs and while you are doing that it's a good idea to treat the compressor to a seal kit and the valve block to some new O rings. Cost is about half what a spring conversion kit costs too.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
The problem these days, over here at least, is the EAS driver freaking out. @ $400 here for a new one. Add that to a compressor, hopefully a rebuild on the valve block and not a new one due to wear/hacking, some new bags, and some lines....It adds up quickly
If it's a simple leak, cheap fix dedending what it is
I have functional EAS on my LSx powered Rover, but it's on it's last legs. Goes into random faults then drops, and so on. I'm suspecting the driver this time, along with a possible bad ECM. No telling on the wiring after 20+ years.

Martin

·
Super Moderator
2,318 Posts
The problem these days, over here at least, is the EAS driver freaking out. @ $400 here for a new one.
Seems like it would be cheaper to buy one here and get it shipped https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/suspension-drive-dunlop-anr3900-p-590.html. I've only ever found one that was actually faulty, all the others have been poor connections in the plug and socket between the driver pack and valve block. Occasional random faults are usually a worn height sensor. If there is a dead spot on the track as long as the ECU sees a viable signal every so often it is happy, it's only when it hits that spot for more than a few seconds it gets offended. Never known an ECM to fail at all though. The only one I've known that caused a lot of head scratching was one where the compressor seemed to be not running yet was drawing current and could be heard doing something. Turned out that at some time in the past it had been apart and new seals fitted but whoever did it put it back together so the grub screw that holds the crank onto the motor spindle wasn't lined up with the flat on the spindle. That had allowed the motor to turn but not the crank so no pressure.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Quite a few dead drivers over here. Maybe the heat here?
I have gone through a few ecm's myself and reprogrammed them myself.
Like I say, may be the higher temps here than back home.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have two driver packs that needed the connectors "adjusting", plus a third one where the wires are intermittent underneath that horrid potting compound. LR should never have located a heat sensitive component in an already hot area.

If somebody can figure out how to dissolve the compound, it will be quite easy to repair driver packs. I cannot be arsed to spend hours chipping the stuff out. (I tried heat, freezing, solvents, etc.)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,439 Posts

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Is the air suspension such a problem. What is involved in keeping on top of it.... i cant understand why people would swap out for springs unless it was simply massively expensive to keep on top of. i am a 24 hour researcher so i could be missing the fundamental reasons for the swap.
On a P38 it is not at all expensive. Sadly many P38 owners don't take the time or effort to learn how basic the system is. They ignore hints and warnings that they have a leak. They purchase "reset" products that only clear the codes, masking the issue instead of using free software to actually read the error codes. resetting the codes does nothing to fix them. If you ignore leaks long enough you will have the pleasure of rebuilding your compressor that burnt out from being overworked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts