RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone compare quality of ride between the RR and RRS for versions 2010/2013? Where would the difference be coming from? How are suspension different in both vehicles? Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,704 Posts
both are old tech prior to sharing platforms. the sport was on the LR3 platform and and l322 was on it's dedicated platform with it's longer wheel base. There will also be suspension optioning that may play a part. With such two different beasts why ask?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
RRS is a harsher ride than L322, it’s up to personal preference. Between the L320 and L322 I stayed with the smoother riding L322. 2010+ RRS is smoother than LR3/4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I am asking because I am looking for the model with the most comfortable ride. My first option was a RRS because its a bit smaller but from what I am learning the suspension are harsh in most of the RRS, even more in the SC models which I prefer, but also in the HSE. I am looking for models before 2013. Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks. Why RRS have a harsher ride than RR? Is it because the suspensions are built stiffer from factory as its more road oriented? Thanks very much

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
My assumption would be that the Sport is meant to be more “sporty”, though still being a Range Rover.. it’s based off of an off-roader the LR3 and that wasn’t really meant for ride comfort. The L322 was meant to be an ultra comfortable ride that is still off road capable. My Supercharged 2011 rides as well as my non Supercharged 2010. I think it’d be worth it to drive both and see your own perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you take the same exact suspension (stiff or not) and put it on a longer wheelbase (RR), you'll have a smoother ride. Simple laws of physics. Next question

·
Registered
295 Posts
FFRR and RRS do not have exact the same suspension. In fact they are considerably different other than both being air.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,704 Posts
He didn;t say they did... he is stating a long known fact in the automotive world. LWB will always have a far superior ride to SWB. Why do you think all formal cars have expansive room behind the front seat? It's not for privacy or status, is is for the comfort that only an LWB can provide.

Three 1946 Packards met at the lodge on Mt Rainier several years ago. A formal sedan LWB, a formal limo (mine) and a standard sedan SWB. For giggles we had a race from Mt Rainier to to the Fauntleroy ferry dock. For comparison we swapped navigators. All three cars had identical identical straight 8 engines and three speed transmissions. Same SafetyFlex suspension... also used under license on all post war Rolls Royce and Bentleys under license from Packard. The formal sedan fell behind due to weight and no over drive. Standard sedan with the ferry line second. I got there first as I had over drive and a much higher top speed, but no torque on hills.
A buddy of mine ridding in the standard sedan said he would never drive or ride in a standard SWB again... 120"WB... he was used to the formal sedan... 146"WB.

All being identical nothing will ever ride like an LWB.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this exact conversation with my wife and my father over the weekend. I have 2010 RRS SC, wife drives 2011 LR4 HSE, and my father has 2010 RR HSE. We came to a conclusion that LR4 is the most well balanced, not too harsh (RRS), not too soft (RR). We do love all three though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts