RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

my drivers door lock has ceased to operate when I remotely lock the car, 1996 4.6 HSE RHD. The drivers window has also ceased to operate. I have conducted the following tests:

1. Tested the drivers lock with a multimeter (all microswitches, CDL motor) as per the instructions in the wiki. All good.
2. Hooked up my Nanocam which shows a fault communicating with RH outstation. The Nanocam cannot lock the door, unlock or raise/lower the RH window.

I presume the only common item is the outstation module or am I missing something?

TIA

J

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yes, the outstation, especially if the Nanocom can't communicate with it. Simple enough to change and cheap too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have tried two used (guaranteed) outstations but no change. Summary: Drivers door doesn't operate on remote, lifting the door button does not unlock the central locking, drivers window doesn't operate shows 'window not set', when operating central locking dash display shows 'RH Door Open'. Oh and the tailgate button doesn't operate.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
To be on the safe side and really confirm it isn't the outstation, try swapping it with the known working one from the other door. If the fault moves then you've been very unlucky with outstations but if, as I suspect will happen, it doesn't then you are down to wiring. The door open signal comes from the door ajar switch but that is grounded when the door is open, while operating the door button should apply a ground (the same ground that is fed to the tailgate, so it's all sounding a bit weird. On one hand you appear to have a ground where you shouldn't and on the other hand you don't have a ground. The RH outstation gets it's power from Fuses 9 and 22 but if either of those were blown you'd get a message on the dash telling you they were blown. Wiring to teh outstation goes via a couple of connectors at the end of the rubber tube between door and body, it might be worth checking them in case there is any damage or hairy greeness in there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bingo! The connectors on the end of the door umbilical were crude up. Some judicious cleaning and I'm back in business. Thanks for the steer.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,154 Posts
Good to see you've got it all sorted - if I'd seen this a couple of days ago, then I would have said to check the connectors first, as the outstations very rarely fail and it's more likely to be a bad connection in the door wiring where it goes to the body loom.

The outstations run on a serial link, so if one of about 4 wires has a connection issue, then everything in the door will stop... a bit of a pain, yes - but when working, reduces the number of wires between BECM and doors substantially!

Got to love it when it's a simple/easy fix though :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
marty_nz
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing