RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
3.9 auto unleaded, how many revs should I be doing at a steady 50mph under no real load?

Just wondering as I can not determine gear changes so can't tell if I'm in 4th or not. At a comfortable 50mph riding on a flat surface the rev counter is saying 1800 - 2000 rpm - is this about right? The engine does not sound like it's over revving but am looking for reassurance?

She is using quite a bit of fuel and I have replaced the entire ignition system and running at 4-5 degrees BTDC. Starts on the button every time no pinking and a faultless drive etc.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
rpm should range seems ok, I believe later years the timing was bumped to 8 degrees btdc. I'm not sure if the uk models use o2 sensors, if so they are consumable items to be replaced every 90,000 miles or so.
check your coolant temp sensor, your intake air filter, change motor oil and keep it fresh, change your fuel filter. all of these have a small collective contribution on performance.
check you brakes for dragging including parking brake, set your tire pressures accordingly, somewhere along those chores check your alignment. although it is frowned upon on older rovers, changing to synthetic fluids causes less gear drag on drivetrain and benefits the end result.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
forgot to add, check your vacuum advance. it affects your drivability and mpg.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Checking vacuum advance is a very good tip
Was something I had to replace on my distributor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts