RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
This code is really annoying, as per LR my car has a hairline crack on the right hand side cat. I dropped the entire exhaust system (a heavy mama) pressure tested it with test fluid, found the tiny hole (pin hole size) MIG welded it went through the entire system to ensure no other leaks and re installed the system back in the vehicle. Erased the code and after three start ups it came back. The other day I went back into the area that was MIG welded cleaned it with steel wool and added Marine Tex epoxy to the entire weld seam. Still have the code coming back up.
Any thoughts on how to fix this thing?
Thanks
Lou (Basque1)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
A lot of times these leaks are temperature dependent, so testing cold might not do the trick. However the seam going down the exhaust(not around the tube) below where you welded does look a little suspect, but that could also just be in the picture.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot of times these leaks are temperature dependent, so testing cold might not do the trick. However the seam going down the exhaust(not around the tube) below where you welded does look a little suspect, but that could also just be in the picture.
Ok I can check that out. Tks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a way you can marked the picture exactly where you are talking about?
Tks
Lou

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Exactly. But that is just looking at a picture, so what I am seeing as suspect could just be funny lighting.

Also, I tend to see more that are harder to see the crack with it installed, as in the crack in the weld/seam is on top, but in the same area of the exhaust you have pictured.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly. But that is just looking at a picture, so what I am seeing as suspect could just be funny lighting.

Also, I tend to see more that are harder to see the crack with it installed, as in the crack in the weld/seam is on top, but in the same area of the exhaust you have pictured.
Ok using the picture that shows my weld I will, use Marine-Tex sealer all the way across the actual manufacturer's weld seam and see what happens. Keep you posted of the progress or lack of it thereof.
thanks for the input, the both of you.
Lou

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
Ok using the picture that shows my weld I will, use Marine-Tex sealer all the way across the actual manufacturer's weld seam and see what happens. Keep you posted of the progress or lack of it thereof.
thanks for the input, the both of you.
Lou
Later models adjust the threshold for this code being thrown. It'd be no problem for me to do that for you. Take 5 minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts