RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here, I have a LHD 2001 P38 in Baku, Azerbaijan - which is a challenge as the only main dealer only deals with newer (more expensive) models. I get most of my parts from the UK on periodic trips.

I've just bought a new stereo with DVD and pop-up screen from eBay and am now contemplating fitting a reversing camera - possibly a CCD model for about £50-60. But I've been reading that there are frequently problems with water getting into it if the car is power-washed, which mine is fairly frequently.

1) Has anyone else had this problem, and how do you deal with it (short of not washing the car...)
2) Can anyone give me any inspiration on where to mount the camera to minimise the risk, or type/model of camera that doesn't suffer from this?

Many thanks
Phil

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
do a search for 'camera' 'reversing' there are a few threads showing different locations - top of tqilgate, bottom tailgate etc - mine is mounted in the bottom tailgate in the 'gap' between bottom and top which protects it well and it was a specific unit ie water sealed/proofed rather than an exposed camera which in the uk would cost about £15 - £20 search on e bay or similar abnd you'll see what I mean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Reversing camera and power washers

I'm still struggling with where to mount a reversing camera on my P38. All the installs I've seen here, whilst looking good, are on the outside of the car - but advice that I've seen elsewhere suggests that the cams are very vulnerable to leaking when a power hose is used to wash the car, which is most of the time in my case. Is this really a big problem, or am I just being paranoid?

I've contemplated mounting the cam inside the car - one option seems to be next to the hi-level brake light in the upper tailgate, but it doesn't seem easy to either get power from the reversing lights or elsewhere for an "always on" option into there - and more complicated to take the video cables via the roof (though a wireless cam may be an option).

Any thoughts or alternatives? Any way to protect the lens from high pressure water but still mount on the outside?
Thanks
Phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts