RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to help a friend who accidentally reversed polarity when she tried to jump her 2009 No. American L322 petrol are. AAA came out and tried a proper jump but no start. All electricals seem to be operating in key position 1. Turn key to position 2 to start and nothing happens. No sound from starter or anywhere. Asking for some guidance on troubleshooting this problem.

It has been suggested the CJB got fried...

I’m fluent in P38 issues and solutions but a novice with the L322. My understanding is that there are three junction boxes. 1 in Engine compartment. One behind the glovebox (Central Junction Box) and one in the rear.

Can the Central Junction Box be removed without removing the entire dash? Can’t find any discussion of how to remove. Have removed the glovebox and can access fuses easily but I am told CJB is behind the fuses.

I have begun checking fuses and nothing blown as far as I can see but have not checked relays......or, what else?

Any guidance is deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,190 Posts
Theres an explosive squib in the box attached to the positive battery terminal that is designed to disconnect the battery in an accident. It's located between the battery and the jump post on the firewall, in the big positive cable that basically connects the starter and alternator to the battery. There is a second smaller cable that feeds into the CJB and other fuse panels That squib may have fired on the reverse connection. Take a jumper cable from the post on the battery to the jump post on the firewall to bypass the squib and try to start it, or if you have a voltmeter check for battery voltage at the jumper post. If it starts you (she) will need to get a new positive battery cable between the battery and the jump post with a new squib in it.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
400 Posts
The CJB is a term used for the later MY2010-2012 whereby the body control module and main fuse board have been siamesed/conjoined behind the lower glovebox.

On your model, MY2006-2009, the main fusebox is indeed behind the lower glovebox but the separate body control module is in a cavity under the front passenger seat.

With a jump-pack [correctly] attached does the ignition come on in key position 2?

Do the main headlights come on if turned on in key position 2?

If so, when the key is cranked further to the engine start position do the lights stay on or go out?

If the lights stay on (or don't dim at all) the chances are that a maxi-fuse in the starter crank circuit needs to be replaced.

The body control module goes into "sleep" mode every 16 mins when not needed.

Sometimes, when working on the vehicle it's necessary to open and close the driver's door to "wake up" the BCM (no kidding).

Behind the battery there are several maxi-fuses of 200-400A rating.

The battery needs to be removed to gain access.

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts