RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
It'll take you longer to work around than find the problem, but no I don't think that wd work. I'm no auto electrician, but this is not a manual where you can intercept a simple reverse switch/ circuit, and the Led you refer to is in an Ic on the deck of the selector. I did strip it down once, unlikely you cd do anything from there imho.
I would try finding a friend with a nanocom, or acquire one. Until then it's just you a probe, and the electronic troubleshooting manual, as suggested above.
If you fancy a punt on eBay, then pick up a working xyz switch (watch the part number) and see what happens. Worst case you'll have a useful spare, best case you'll fix your issue.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It's an early car so could be different and had it been a 2.5DT I could have thought the gear being displayed on the dash might not be enabled but a DSE is the diesel version of an SE spec. Unlikely it would have dipping mirrors anyway as that was only on the HSE with electric memory seats. Definitely an odd one, you need to find out where the power to the reversing lights is coming from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm thinking because it's not part of mot to cut the cars feed to reverse lights and wire the to a switch in the foot rest I can just turn on/off by pressing it, but would that put a bulb blown error on dash?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Just got back from a run in mine and when putting it into gear I suddenly realised. When would you ever put it into 2 or 3 anyway? Except when towing when I might occasionally drop it down into 3, the rest of the time I only ever use P, D and R so the reversing lights coming on with 2 and 3 would never happen.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You cd depin the connector to the reverse lights ( if you're sure it's not part of the MOT,) and then add in a 2 pin connector with an inline switch and then plug the other side if the switch into the empty slots in the becm connector, but personally I wd be doing some diagnosis first before devising a work around.
Nanocom can test reverse lights via becm, so I suspect the becm might also register no load as bulb failure...law of unintended consequences...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Er...good point Richard!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Iwas going to connect car wires to bulbs in boot to keep it from displaying a fault but wire bulbs in boot light cluster to switch so I can turn them on as needed because I'm sure there not part of MOT

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
MoT testers manual para 4.6.2, (MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles)

You must inspect all reversing lamps fitted to vehicles first used from 1 September 2009 other than quadricycles and Class 3 vehicles.
Reversing lamps must show a white light to the rear. On some vehicles it may be necessary to have the engine running before the reversing lamps will work.
At least one reversing lamp must be fitted.

Reversing lamps not working is a fail

But as I pointed out a couple of posts ago, when do you ever use 3 or 2?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts