RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm planning (early stages) to return to Portugal.

I've had 4 P38s now and am thoroughly addicted.

Although the odd V8 is available in Portugal, there are many more Diesels.

Last time I looked, fuel was very pricey.

Question is - if I change from V8 to Diesel, what will I find?

Will the Diesel be unbearable?

Any general help appreciated ...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Unless money isn't a issue, i'd go for the diesel. Double mileage compared to the petrol, & you get more time admiring the views.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Rick - yes, money is an issue.

I just think of tractor engines, vibrations and smelly fuel .....

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
I can only recall a phrase in (i think) LRO which said "the diesel lacks refinement", having owned the V8 already Spriggy then that maybe doubly so, but indeed twice the mileage is not to be sniffed at.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The price of Fuel here in Portugal is very very high and will get worse, so buying a V8 is only for who can support it. I have a P38 Diesel. If you are not in a hurry it takes you where you want to go. Im capable of doing 9.7 litres/100km average on my 1997 DSE and it is Auto. Still for the prices of diesel in Portugal this is a High fuel consumption car. Its my second car, only for weekends, so no problem for me. Imagine 20-30l/100km average at 1,64-1,77 € per Litre on a V8...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe you should consider a LPG converted V8. It will be cheaper to run than a diesel and doesn't lack the refinement :) The major downside is that you'll not be allowed into underground car parks but this may be OK, depending on where you plan to live.
If you do come back to Portugal you'll find that we have a nice community of P38 owners to help you ease the pain of ownership :twisted:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.

I'm not sure about the lpg conversion.

I'll be semi - retired and therefore will have time to fettle and fiddle :)

Here in Dubai I get 17l / 100km and even with cheap fuel I sometimes notice the cost!

I guess I will just have to drive a diesel and see for myself .....

Cheers.

I can't wait to get back to lovely Portugal ...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hi Spiggy,
I have a DSE. Motor and transmission have both been changed, but I passed 350kkms a while back. I had actually wanted to purchase a V8 when we were looking for the P38 - till my wife calculated that with 20% better mileage and 20% less/L, with the amount we drive we could take up a loan and completely finance the P38 on fuel savings alone! And diesel cost 30% less back then too! LPG is nice if you can be sure you'll always have it available where you drive. We couldn't be so it wasn't an option. In stock form, the diesel is a dog- chipping it transforms the vehicle completely, tho. My recommendation would be diesel, auto-box, and chip tuning.
You'll be putting the cylinder head at risk, but it improves the car to the extent that I consider it worthwhile. I popped a cyl head after about 100kkms chipped, but I also drive German Autobahns regularly with the throttle buried. I now consider cyl heads a maintenance item :razz:. And it is still worth it!
I posted info on chipping the motor etc. If you search, it should be somewhere around 2005...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's great stuff.

I don't mind changing a cylinder head, and labour is not too steep in Portugal.

I've read a bit on here about intercoolers and chipping - do you know another site which would have more diesel owners?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As an ex resident of Portugal for 25 years I can tell you DIESEL is the only way to go ! Petrol prices are horrific. Spain and Portugal have good diesel prices compared to petrol. If you are going to live there you are allowed to take a car with you providing you have owned it in UK for 1 year or so and then import it at low cost. Forget straight forward importation too expensive. RHD cars even on Port. plates do not sell easily.Legally you are allowed 6 months in Portugal with your UK regd car but if you work officially or become a resident you cannot drive a foreign registered car.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info.

I can now start planning intercoolers, chips and similar!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts