RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a fairly basic spec P38 2.5 DT and have seen some bits advertised locally. I would like to fit a set of front fog lights and would have no problem adding them physically to the front but I need to know, do I physically have to run the wiring for it or is the wiring already in place. I don't even know where the switch goes for it in the cabin!

I would also like to fit the trip computer to work? Is this possible?

Hope someone knows,

Dave

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
not sure about those specifically, but in general, yes, the wiring etc is there. the trip computer is in the BECM, so you should just need the left column switch and plug it in. The fog light wiring is likely there as well, the switch is in the dash, by the hazards (can't remember which switch exactly.

I do know that the only difference between not having heated seats, and having heated seats on SWMBO's DII is replacing the window switch pack unit to one with seat heater switches. Seat heaters and wiring are installed in all, for the $500 package you get 2 extra switches...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine is a high spec Diesel but that doesn't' have them as the G.Box Oil cooler is there.

When I brought it the lights were there but not connected, I looked at it but it needed the full wiring, relays and switch - not really worth it to me so I sold them and fitted the blank and grill instead.

The switch goes in one of the blanks near the EAS lock switch.

Do you have a copy of Rave? The fitting instructions are on the accessories fitting list.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I fitted a trip computer to mine, but it did not work untill the option was switched on via a Testbook session - was definitely worth it though :thumb:

There is a thead 'Wills' did reference the fog lights on a diesel - hit that search button mate.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
I think you can fit the fogs if you have a 2.5 manual.... But you cant if its auto.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Dan_UK_1984 said:
I think you can fit the fogs if you have a 2.5 manual.... But you cant if its auto.
Bull plop, sorry. Move the cooler or fit an after market cooler. A few folks here have done the latter to fit their fogs an diesels. It's a great excuse to flush the tranny fluid. All can be done in a matter of an hour or so. A couple hours if you are throwing the ball for the hound. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Dan_UK_1984 said:
Bull plop, sorry. Move the cooler or fit an after market cooler.
Well yes, you could relocate parts, or fit a different cooler. But using that rationale then there's nothing you couldnt do if you were happy to move things or change bits.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine has the manual box, and I from faffing about under there that there is no ducting or anything. Fitting the lights and the switch will no doubt be the easy part, getting it to work won't be.

Strangely, it's probably going to be the case that the trip computer will work and the fog lights will be more difficult. I will try and have a search of the forum to see if it is "do-able"

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine has the manual box, and I from faffing about under there that there is no ducting or anything. Fitting the lights and the switch will no doubt be the easy part, getting it to work won't be.

Strangely, it's probably going to be the case that the trip computer will work and the fog lights will be more difficult. I will try and have a search of the forum to see if it is "do-able"

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Rewmer said:
Dont the lights have to be enabled in the BECM?
Yes if you are using factory wiring. No if you are doing a butcher job.

·
Registered
89 Posts
HI is the wiring for the front fog light switch already in the dash loom or do you have to rig up your own on a 2.5 diesel going to put front fogs on mine and modify the bottom valance with an air scoop cut into it using an old dash heater pipe from another car

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Dan_UK_1984 said:
Unless you drill and make a scoop to feed the rad with air, above the LHD foglight

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
v8bobber said:
Hi,

I have a fairly basic spec P38 2.5 DT and have seen some bits advertised locally. I would like to fit a set of front fog lights and would have no problem adding them physically to the front but I need to know, do I physically have to run the wiring for it or is the wiring already in place. I don't even know where the switch goes for it in the cabin!

I would also like to fit the trip computer to work? Is this possible?

Hope someone knows,

Dave
Beware that DT have low spec BECM. There's 2 type of BECMs : low spec and high spec.
To know more you should speak with Rick the Pick

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine originally had the lights there but not connected - in a UK climate I never had a problem with the cooler behind the light.

·
Registered
89 Posts
UPDATE front fogs go in fine just a bit awkward getting top screws in only put the left hand one by the cooler only put 3 screws in this could of put 4 but means bumper removal and you don,t have to do that harness is already in just above fog light switch connector is taped back behind switch housing it just looks as if i need to get the becm to recognise that they have been fitted .and it looks easier enough to put a scoop on the bottom valance possibly off another car the type that blow s the hot air onto the windscreen seem to be angled right to push the up onto the cooler will update when i have got around to doing this. neil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts