RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been posted before, or even if I have asked the question myself before, but has anyone retrofitted the front fogs on a P38. I have a manual diesel and have bought a pair in really good nick along with a proper switch so physically fitting them won't be a problem.

However, I want to fit them properly as per OE. I have done a bit of research with the Electronic Troubleshooting Manual and can see that to do it properly that it is all done the BECM (no surprise there!) but does anyone know if the loom is already in place or whether i need to try and find some extra bits of wiring is needed. I don't want to have to resort to wiring it all in with "external wiring", not in keeping with the machine at all!

I don't fancy taking the dash apart to find out that I need a completely different wiring loom if I can work it all out before hand. My research time is limited!!

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have you looked under the front of the truck to see if the wiring harness is still there? What year is your rig? Are the foglights not there in place? What do you mean by Retrofitting? :think:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Retrofitting means to retrospectively fit equipment or bits that were fitted to later or higher spec models - well it does in my book anyway.

The fog lights (the ones under the bumper) are the standard proper type but I'll be honest I didn't fancy rolling around under the front when there's snow on the ground and it's minus degrees still. You're probably used to it where you are but here in pembs we're only used to light drizzle and the odd day of sunshine in the summer!! Unfortunately the trialler is in the workshop so I can't get in there - and besides my spaceheater is knackered. I'm doing some planning while the weathers cold and just wondered if anyone knew. I could get ordering bits then if I needed any.

Dave

·
Registered
483 Posts
Have a look in the accessories fitting section of Rave. I think you will find the answer is no but it has full instructions on how to fit it all,fuses, relays, loom etc. as per factory fit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hear ya on the cold weather, here in Calgary we've been in the deep freeze for months now. I'm thankful nothings gone wrong with my rig this winter. When I bought my truck my fogs were cracked and I bought a used set that looked like new for $100 from The Rover Shop here in Calgary. I'm waiting for springtime to come around to replace a cracked windshield that happened at the onset of winter. We've got so much gravel on the roads right now it would be a waste of time and money to do it now. I'd say plug em in and see if they work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well done, I hadn't noticed the accesories part of the ECM, and it does indeed show how to fit them. God knows how I would get hold of a Fog Light Harness if the BECM isnt a Highline one and the harness isn't in place.

If I could get hold of one then it would be a case of simply following the 85 stage guide to putting one it - yes, eighty-five!

When I get time to get the RR in the workshop then I will be looking carefully to see if the harness is already in place, and then go from there. If not I fear that I will be wiring them in using my own wiring.

I was also going to ask to see if it was possible to retrofit the trip computer but I don't think i'll bother now!!

Dave

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Do it via a relay that turns on when you turn on the fog lamps....takes around a hour using the good stuff, 20 mins if you want it the nasty cheap way

1 - 10 of 10 Posts