RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have had my SE 4.4 V8 a few years now and it is time to start messing about with her a bit !

Is it possible to exchange my non folding mirrors for powerfold ones ? I have a set of folding mirrors that I have reconned (re-blacked, painted and new motors and cogs etc) I was wondering more about the electrical side. Will I need a new loom ? Will I need to activate anything in the settings of the vehicle ?

Many thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all, I know its been a huge amount of time but I have success !!!

It seems that all the wiring etc is in place for the folding wing mirrors and also the BCU accepts them !

I have folding mirrors ! All working, they dip on reverse they fold correctly and the electrochromic glass works, huge result all round !

To get the folding mirrors working actually took very little work.
1. I bought a pair of folding mirrors from Gumtree for £40. Cheap because the folding motors had gone slack and were flapping around.
2. I bought a door control switch pack from Fleabay for £60. The cheapest I could find, mostly around the £90 price.
3. I bought 2 motor repair kit from Fleabay at £30 each. The ones for an X5 are exactly the same as the Range Rover ones. I bought full kits as I did not know what parts I would need, but you could save a good amount of money by taking the mirrors apart first and only buying the bits you need.
4. I went the whole hog when I removed the mirrors and took the bases off and had them powder coated as they had started to corrode. If anyone needs their bases recoated give me a shout, I have a spare set and get new ones done quite quickly for £40.
5. Turns out the hardest part is removing the door card !
6. The motor kit was a bit fiddly but not too bad, there are some good YouTube vids of how to fit them.
7. Stripping down and reassembly, including fitting the motor kits only took a day. I also took the opportunity to thoroughly clean inside the mirrors and reblack all the plastic covers. Although I did have to wait 3 days for my bases to be powder coated.
8. All in all quite simple, quite quick and only cost £200.

Below I've attached a couple of before and after photos

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
290 Posts
Hey there Mr Pants, can you share the procedure you followed to fix the mirror flop? Didn’t think there was an easy way to fix the assembly from flopping around, aside from a few sheet metal screws holding them in place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts