RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, new here. Just traded my D3 for a 2007 TDV8 Full-Fat.

Bit of a weird spec though. It started life as an HSE but has had from the factory
Brembo brakes
Bluetooth
Harmon Kardon
Cold climate pack
and a few other bits which weren't standard apparently.

Anyway, what it doesn't have is Navigation. I have been looking into retrofitting it and what parts would be required. So far I can see there is the GPS antenna on the roof and the co-ax for it appears in the left rear quarter area. The cage to take the DVD unit is also there but has nothing in it. There are some plugs but nothing which would fit the navigation DVD units so I'm guessing a small over-loom would be required.

However, the LR techs all seem to think it should have NAV since the screen is the larger touch-screen type. THis screen shows "Navigation not fitted" by the way.

First off, has anyone done this please? I did search and there's plenty on pre-2005 cars but nothing on the 2007MY.

Failing this, is anyone prepared to take some photos of the cabling behind the Nav DVD unit for me please? This would help with figuring out what's needed. If there is a small over-loom then possibly a part number from it??

Thanks loads

Dom

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
I don't have any ideas but seeing that you just traded a D3 made me think would the guys on Disco 3 that up graded their Screens have a better idea ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Retrofitting Nav on an RR is just a waste of time and mostly monney .
Buy yourself the nicest of Tom6tom or Garmin and that will be much more practical .
or spend hours and days to find alll the necessary wiring , dismount the whole interior , and spend a fortune on the nav equipment to upgarde !!!!
Jaybear

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
2007 and no nav? I've never heard of a post 06 with no nav. The BMW based cars had the MID/cd radio, but an 07??

If it really is an 07, the wiring should be there as there is no 'no nav' loom available according to Microcat. Are you sure the proper plugs are not there? You have the screen so you'll need the nav/dvd drive.
I'd check either salvage or ebay. There are deals to be had. I'd do it.

I really can't imagine no nav loom - if you do not have it, it'd me more than a 'small over loom'. Do you have any clipped off wires? Was the unit filched?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this Gents.

OK, yes it's an 07 car (may registered) and does not have Nav. I asked the dealer to check the original build spec and that also confirms no Nav. Loads of other options but no nav.

I checked the cage where the nav DVD unit would be (left rear quarter) and it's empty. No tell tale marks from anything ever having been fitted. But, there is the co-ax cable which I traced back to the roof fin GPS aerial.

Over this weekend I'm going to remove some more trim to see if the plugs are tucked up somewhere but there's no clipped wires from what I can see so far. I know what to look for having looked at the unit in the D3 so here's hoping. If the loom isn't there I'm guessing the whole main loom will be different which sort of makes it a deal breaker for me as I'm not confident enough to replace the whole thing.

I do have a TomTom which is OK but I just can't fathom a FFRR without nav. It's like strawberries without cream really. :)

Will report back once I've got some more trim off, possibly with some pics.

Thanks

Dom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, had a look and there's some photos below. Apologies for the poor pics - camera phone thing.

Anyway, not a cable in sight except the one I fished out to make it obvious. Any ideas please?

Thanks. Dom.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts
My guess is you will need the loom, and all the nav units, including GPS. Best bet would be ebay or salvage yard. I know when I had my 2008 G35 it did not have nav either, it would have been about $2k to install. Personally unless you can get all items on the cheap and have a buddy install your are gonna spend a couple grand. Just my .02

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
Well, I have just had all of this apart on mine to up grade from analog to digital TV, and from what I can see the first things you need are the Nav DVD unit and a TCM module which is the receiver that gives the Nav its traffic info .
Now all of this stuff is on the MOST system so it will need to be connected with the fiber optic cable loom and separate power supplies . After this will it the car need to be configured to recognize the Nav you just fitted ?
If the power feeds are all there then I guess not too hard ,just need the fiber optic loom . IE either relatively simple or too hard baskets , no middle ground .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, thanks for this Gents.

I reckon I need to take a look at a car which has the NAV fitted before I go too far. That way I can judge what cabling I'm missing and possibly see where it comes from. The units are relatively easy to source but the wiring much harder I think. Apparently (reading above) there's no loom option for a car without NAV so in theory, I have the required wiring already. It could just be taped back up somewhere but we shall see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts