RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a NAS 2002 P38 petrol. I just replaced the positive battery cables with the factory harness. Now the truck won’t start. The 40A fuse to the starter motor is fine. Resync W’s the key fob with the door turn lock and unlock truck. Truck now locks and unclocks with the key fob. I reset all the windows and sunroof. No message in the message center. Key turns and everything lights up but no crank at all.
When key is in the second position there is NO check engine light on..... research tells me that I need to resync the BECM and the ECM using a Faultmate or Nanocom or resync tool. Is this correct? I called JC British in Denver at PPR in the Springs and also the dealership. Waiting to hear back. Am I correct?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True. I’ll recheck. Thanks Chris.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If the fob is working all doors then it isn't a sync problem. No Check Engine light is a symptom of a GEMS that has lost sync but not Thor so that may well be something different (blown bulb? Did it work before?).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm ok so when does the check engine light come on on a Thor? After start up? Anything else I haven’t tried? I’ll try smacking the starter motor with a hammer next. Got to get my wife to help on that one.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Does she have a talent for smacking things with hammers? :lol:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. Smacking things with blunt objects is my specialty. She turns things on...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Richard G,
Yes the check engine light worked before. I replaced all the bulbs with LEDS over a year ago. Doubtful it has burnt out. Is it possible to have lost Sync with no message on the message center?When is the check engine light supposed to come on on a Thor? It goes off after the engine starts like normal. I agree that if the Fobs work and I can lock and unlock it seems to be in sync.
How do you know if it is not Synced with a diagnostic tool?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Something like the Nanocom isn't just a diagnostic tool, it can re-sync if that was the problem but I'm not sure it is. Check Engine should come on as soon as the key is in position 2 and go out once the engine has started and it has decided you have no faults to cause it to stay on. So that is one problem. If the BeCM and ECM have lost sync on a Thor, it will crank but not start (as the sparks are turned off), so the starter would still work. The dash would also tell you that the engine was immobilised and it would be asking for the EKA or a press of the remote fob button. This all sounds like a starter problem more than anything else. If you have been working near the starter, Chris's suggestion makes most sense. The starter motor on a Thor has two spade terminals, one for the trigger wire (the thin one) and one put there for some other reason that nobody seems to know why. If you have removed the trigger wire and put it back on the wrong spade terminal, that would explain the lack of starter activity.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Richard,
great information. Thank you very much. I did not remove the trigger wire at all but perhaps I bumped something while under there. I can also check voltage with a meter on the solinoid itself.
Min heading back out this morning to doubles check all fuses and my connections underneath.
Mill update then.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello all. Richard you were spot on. I did not lose sync. Turns out my starter motor was toast and I neede a new one. I didn’t have time to do it myself so I had it towed to my independent LR shop
he used a 24” extension and a breaker bar to get the bolts out. They were very tight and it was quite difficult. But I am back on the road with the peace of mind of a new starter. Thank you all for your help and assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts