RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone.

My 2012 RRS SC is acting up suddenly. For the past week I've been getting the red triangle "Restricted Performance" message upon start up. It's not on every start up, and it's also not every cold start up (although most are). I know it's going to happen when I push the start button and the engine roars to life and then immediately begins to run rough then it either dies or I turn it off. I restart the engine, drive it for a few miles and then the warning goes away.

Yesterday I was merging onto the freeway, when I decided to put it in sport mode, in the dynamic setting, put the pedal down and began to accelerate pretty well when I felt a noticeable lurch. After the lurch came the yellow triangle and another restricted performance message. I also noticed that I couldn't go much faster than 65, soI pulled off the freeway at the next exit and shut the car off. After about 5 min, I restarted the engine and it has performed like it alsways has, until tonight. After a long drive to see a friend, I made a quit stop, shut the engine off for about 10 min, then upon restart got the red triangle again. Shut it off, then back on and it was fine.

I only use 93 octane fuel and recently performed and oil change and air filter service.

Anyone have experience with this, or have any ideas what could be causing this? I've searched the forum, but found nothing special so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Without scanning it for codes no one will be able to diagnose via the internet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are none to my knowledge as the CEL doesn't stay on. I'll see if I can get it scanned.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quick question: did this start after you changed the air filter? Maybe go back over that process and make sure everything is tight and no splits or breaks in the air tube. Then, clean the MAF sensors, and clean the throttle plate and bore.

What mileage?

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you search on the forums for red triangle and restricted performance you will see quite a few posts with this issue.

I had the same problem and in my case it was a faulty VVT solenoids. While they were in there taking the engine apart they replaced the plastic timing chain tensioners parts. Both were covered under my certified pre-owned warranty.

You likely have some pretty major engine issues. I would recommend getting it into a shop asap so they can diagnose those errors.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I'm sitting at 74,000 miles and had the codes read today. There were 23 in all and most were misfires which I assume what due to the rough idle. The others were for low fuel pressure (X2), misaligned throttle position relative to rpm (x3), and low boost pressure (not sure what that means). I've scheduled an appointment to have the car looked over properly at the dealer. Hopefully my extended warranty covers whatever it needs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have a 2012 RRSSC. I also get the restricted performance readout. I took the vehicle in to have the code read and the code was P0067 Low Fuel Pressure on bank 1. I just bought the vehicle with 59000 miles. The only time I get the error message is when I "gun" it to pass someone. If I drive the vehicle "normal" restricted message doesn't appear. If I wanted to drive a vehicle normally I would have bought a Honda. haha

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not from mine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally heard from the dealer. She needs a new fuel pump (reason for the restricted performance message), and a new supercharger (explains the rattle). The timing chain cover is also leaking, so they'll use that opportunity to check the timing chain adjusters (known issue). It also needs front lower control arms. All-in-all, it's going to be ~$9,300.

But it's only going to cost me $200. I love extended warranties �� This bill will pay for the warranty almost 3 times over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread.

Did this happen to be an issue with the low or high pressure fuel pump?

I'm having similar issues and my dealer has found low fuel pump error codes but isn't confident replacing it will solve the problem. My restricted performance only happens when fully accelerating to pass someone. Stop, restart after a few minutes and I'm good to go. No errors on startup but occasional startup is rough so I'm wondering if its beginning to fail.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I posted on this about a month ago and received no responses at all until i bumped the thread and TTroadhall (sp?) commented that no-one has had any issues with the fuel rail pumps. I commented but there's tons of threads were people are dealing with restricted performance lights!

My symptoms were the same - no issues unless accelerating hard at WOT. And - no codes ever stored. It finally did it close to my preferred mechanic and he hooked it up to the computer while it was still under restriction. Fuel flow numbers were way low. Cost to replace one is $1100 pump is $400. so I plan on doing both at $1600. I looked up the steps for R&R and it is pretty complicated job that involves removing engine mounts and on one side the alternator. You are working from underneath the truck.

As TTRoadhall mentioned the pumps rarely fail I did put a good quality fuel treatment in with the hope of maybe the pump is restricted with ethanol residue but I havent been driving the thruck lately so unsure if it resolved it. I doubt it honestly but was worth a tenner to see and if nothing else is good for the injectors.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for the late reply. I had to have both the in-tank and mechanical fuel pumps replaced along with the fuel pressure sensor. After about 5K miles, it looks like that fixed my issues. I have another one now, but not related to reduced engine performance. I’m getting a P0526 that decodes as a cooling fan circuit speed sensor. I might have to replace the fan clutch...

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi everyone, I too have the yellow triangle "Restricted Performance" it comes on even if i just press start without engine running. No Codes found on Scan.
Serviced items checked or replaced so far.
  • MAF sensor cleaned x2 with MAF cleaner.
  • Air intake / throttle body checked & tightened (seems ok)
  • Fuel filter and new fuel sensor cable installed
  • Brake switch sensor replaced
  • Oil, Oil filter and air filter/ c4 penrite Oil used.
No engine codes present On scan

Only yellow triangle " Restricted Performance"
This comes up even when pressing start button without engine running.
You can clear with EDS scanner but will reappear on next start up with or without engine running.
once cleared and driving yellow triangle " Restricted Performance" will not come on during
driving.

Possiable things to check.
Throttle body seal (oring) & Leaks in Manafold {seems ok}
Faulty MAF sensor {Im getting readings on the EDS tool}
Turbo Actuator
Battery faulty. test / replace

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know how many people lease their Rangies and just go 'bye bye' once it's up. I'm here for the long haul...trying to learn. LOL I had this issue before too, and I don't know what it is. I just haven't floored it since then. I have a 2012 RRS S/c

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
maddizm
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing