RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were coming home from a roadtrip this weekend in my 2012 Range Rover Sport Super.
Overtook a truck on the freeway, probably hit about 85mph while overtaking in order to pass quickly/safely. After passing, I took my foot off the accelerator to ease back to speed limit, the car suddenly flashed up a message saying Restricted Performance mode, yellow engine light came on, and it did an aggressive downshift.

We were way out in the middle of nowhere in the desert, hot day, limited water so I didn't want to pull over and risk not being able to get it started again.
I decided to keep going the 15 miles or so to my girlfriends house. The warning message went away within a minute or so, then a mile or two later the yellow light went off, but the car stayed in reduced performance mode all the way back (but no bad engine or other noises that I could hear, I also checked the gearbox by shifting with paddles, every gear seemed fine).

We got home ok and parked. I left the car for about 15 minutes then tried starting it again. The engine started immediately but sounded very rough/rattly like the timing was off, and in neutral, gently revving it just to about 2k caused exhaust pops on overrun, so I immediately turned it off as I guessed a bad tensioner had thrown the timing off, so didn't want to risk smacking a piston into an open valve.
I checked the stored errors with my IIDTool but there was nothing (other than some usual crap about the rear entertainment system).

About an hour later I decided to very gingerly drive it the short distance to my mechanic, but on starting it again, the car was suddenly as good as ever, so I guessed it couldn't have been the timing.
I drove it aorund some more, and to work today and its absolutely fine again. it may just be my imagination/paranoia but the "foot-hard-down" performance may now be slightly less than usual.

My only other guess is that about 100 miles earlier than the fault, I had filled up at a very run-down-looking gas station, so am wondering if bad gas could cause such a fault?. (about 500 miles ago the car also had an injector/fuel system flush as a part of a 75K service).

Does anyone have any more likely ideas/advice? there are no faults showing or stored, and it drives fine, should I still get the car checked out?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Any noise from the timing gear?

Sounds like bad gas: run some BGK 44 or Lucas' best in it and replace the fuel filter (just to be sure). How recently have you cleaned the throttle bore and plate and the MAF sensors?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts