RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
What do you need doing to it exactly? Or are you just curious?

Martin

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
321 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
I used Congleton to do the work on one of my '95s, and am more than happy with the work he did. Sent it all the way across the country for him to work on, and flew out during the process - definitely a great guy to work with.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all, thanks for the welcome. I have a RRC Aspen edition that has rust eating through the driver-side floor pan. I want to do a nice restoration to get everything back to order to keep it for another 20 years. Maybe new engine, definitely a respray. So far I like what I see and hear about Congleton.

Codynt: did they need to look over your truck before beginning or did they give you a bid sight unseen just from you telling them what you wanted done? I would also have to ship mine. When you "flew out during the process", did you stay during the whole restore? How long did it take? Thx.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the welcome. I have a RRC Aspen edition that has rust eating through the driver-side floor pan. I want to do a nice restoration to get everything back to order to keep it for another 20 years. Maybe new engine, definitely a respray. So far I like what I see and hear about Congleton.

Codynt: did they need to look over your truck before beginning or did they give you a bid sight unseen just from you telling them what you wanted done? I would also have to ship mine. When you "flew out during the process", did you stay during the whole restore? How long did it take? Thx.
My '95 was in reasonable condition, being a West Coast vehicle, and my goal was to make it a more usable daily driver with a bit more power, comfort, etc. I described the condition and also sent a bunch of pictures to Taylor Congleton before he gave the estimate. I made a (long) list of things I wanted done (including a new, higher powered engine, overhauling the EAS, sound/heat insulation, fully cleaning and coating the frame/chassis, and a whole bunch of other stuff) and he gave me a rough quote (which I went over by quite a bit due to scope creep...). I knew I was keeping this Rover forever, so I wasn't worried about that. I flew out for maybe 2 days or so, around a month before the Rover was completed, to drive it and provide my feedback and anything else I may have wanted to do to finish up the Rover.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts

Keep in mind, anyone who gives you an estimate with an RRC, is just giving you an estimate. Once you start peeling back the layers, more rot may reveal itself, as the steel may appear to be solid to the eye, but poking at it with a screwdriver may reveal something much worse. If you have holes in your floor, carefully inspect your sills, rear wheel wells, cargo space floor (especially the side seams from underneath), rear crossmember, & bulkhead. These are the worst areas in these trucks. An initial estimate, could very easily morph into something huge, so prepare yourself...

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
Keep in mind, anyone who gives you an estimate with an RRC, is just giving you an estimate. Once you start peeling back the layers, more rot may reveal itself, as the steel may appear to be solid to the eye, but poking at it with a screwdriver may reveal something much worse. If you have holes in your floor, carefully inspect your sills, rear wheel wells, cargo space floor (especially the side seams from underneath), rear crossmember, & bulkhead. These are the worst areas in these trucks. An initial estimate, could very easily morph into something huge, so prepare yourself...
Exactly. There was a small bit of surface rust behind the bulkhead once they started working on things, so of course it raised the budget as well as pushed out the timing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts