RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the approximate volume of fuel left in the tank when the low fuel warning light comes on? I did not see it in the manual.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Does the new sport not have distance till empty mileage reading?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think of that... and I haven't had the car long enough to explore all the display features/options.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I thought I read one of the members here did the test. Drove it till it's empty. I think there's 1 gallon of gas left when the the display hits "E". I forgot who it was, but he carried a gallon of gas with him and tested till it runs completely out.

I think that the 1 gallon starts after the reading of "0" miles until empty on the trip computer.

-ThinkMac-

I didn't think of that... and I haven't had the car long enough to explore all the display features/options.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Just a word of caution: Take that calculated "Range" with a grain of salt. I ran out of gas a couple of times with my old Sport by trusting that countdown, well before it reached 0 miles. The computer gives you an average based on your most recent fuel usage and driving conditions, but it's no clairvoyant. If you have been driving on a highway but then start climbing uphill, or hit some traffic, and you are close to 0 miles left, you may well run out of gas. With my 2013 LR4, which seems way more conservative than my 2006 Sport in its distance-to-empty estimates, I figured I have about 3/4 gallons or 50 miles of road left in my tank when the Low Fuel warning light comes on.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,558 Posts
I might add also that electric fuel pumps don't like sucking fumes. They are also cooled by the gas in the tank and are happier when submerged in fuel. They will last longer if they don't run hot.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Just a word of caution: Take that calculated "Range" with a grain of salt. I ran out of gas a couple of times with my old Sport by trusting that countdown, well before it reached 0 miles. The computer gives you an average based on your most recent fuel usage and driving conditions, but it's no clairvoyant. If you have been driving on a highway but then start climbing uphill, or hit some traffic, and you are close to 0 miles left, you may well run out of gas. With my 2013 LR4, which seems way more conservative than my 2006 Sport in its distance-to-empty estimates, I figured I have about 3/4 gallons or 50 miles of road left in my tank when the Low Fuel warning light comes on.
This is true. The car "estimates" the range left based on your current MPG average. If your average is high, and you suddenly use Dynamic/Sport mode and mash on the gas, it will not be accurate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts