RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo I've been told that at Land Rover Scottsdale everyone must pay $1,300 for window tint (needed in Arizona) and a LoJack unit. This LoJack unit is what I have a problem with. I called Land Rover USA to ask why I would have to pay a dealer for this add on and they said it was out of there control. I tried to explain that the 2016 RRS HSE model has incontrol Protect which from my research has a stolen vehicle locator. So why should I pay 700 for a LoJack unit if my car is already going to have a vehicle locating system. I even went further by informing her that this information I have is not only on the international website but that it is also on the marketing bulletin that I recieved from Land Rover USA themselves. She couldn't answer my question. Maybe I'm just looking to vent haha but can someone help me understand. Ask your dealers about this if you can.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Soo I've been told that at Land Rover Scottsdale everyone must pay $1,300 for window tint (needed in Arizona) and a LoJack unit. This LoJack unit is what I have a problem with. I called Land Rover USA to ask why I would have to pay a dealer for this add on and they said it was out of there control. I tried to explain that the 2016 RRS HSE model has incontrol Protect which from my research has a stolen vehicle locator. So why should I pay 700 for a LoJack unit if my car is already going to have a vehicle locating system. I even went further by informing her that this information I have is not only on the international website but that it is also on the marketing bulletin that I recieved from Land Rover USA themselves. She couldn't answer my question. Maybe I'm just looking to vent haha but can someone help me understand. Ask your dealers about this if you can.
I will indeed ask about the built-in locator but I am also wondering about your tint fee. I am paying $150 for the two front side windows. Their 1300$ requirement smells bad right there. Am I missing something?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Neither are required and the price for that tinting is ridiculous. Walk away from the deal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here's my dilemma. Other Land Rover dealers say they can't sell out of region. I'm stuck going to the Scottsdale one if I want a new HSE diesel. To be honest I don't know how much the LoJack or tint cost. I know it's $1300 and I get both. I had nano ceramic tint installed on my cayenne a few years ago and that was $450 for all windows. I'm sure it's more expensive at the dealer so I was estimating about 6-700 for the tint. I'm going to pay their $1300 because I want the car. I was just trying to avoid the LoJack that seems pointless on the MY2016.

·
Banned
305 Posts
it is simple jesse- you are experiencing the extremely aggressive business strategy of LRNA and it's dealers. it is basically an auto monopoly- but because their product is popular they get away with it. you should see how aggressive they are when their cars have a problem they cannot fix. some folks have dealers with good customer service that helps dilute LRNA tactics, though. BTW- LRNA's answer to you is a common one. they have a sweetheart relationship with their dealers not with their customers. no other manufacturer that sells cars in the US hijacks or controls sales of their product the way LRNA does. I wish jalopnik would write an article about this.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Neither are required and the price for that tinting is ridiculous. Walk away from the deal.
I'd walk too. On principle alone. The cost is not a big deal, but i would refuse to be strong-armed like that. But that's just me i guess. I tend to vote/speak with my wallet too.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,445 Posts
Simply dealer gouging based on supply and demand. They do it because they can. You just explained your dilemma; you want the car but the dealer is including unwanted add ons that you don't need but are high profit items for them. Unfortunately, if you don't buy the vehicle, someone else probably well. We are sort of fortunate in the Bay Area because we have a number of dealers that need to compete with each other so they can't pull that stunt. Good luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'd threaten to walk away from the deal. I'd make sure they know that not only would they be loosing a sale, but lose a long-term customer, as well as one who will go out of their way to share what the dealership is doing to its customers. I would never stand for that.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
906 Posts
Since they said that it is company policy try asking another one of their dealers to see if it is policy.

Annapolis, MD- 410-349-8090
Darien, CT- 203-655-8811

http://www.penskeautomotive.com/dealer-locator.aspx?_brand=Land Rover

Or call Penske Direct.
2555 Telegraph Road
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302-0954

Tel: (248) 648-2500
Fax: (248) 648-2525

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would definitely not walk, but run away from that dealer.

I might also contact the BBB, post something to facebook, and make a few tweets about the dealer's business practices.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll see what I can do. I'll throw I fit and some threats and maybe I can get this waived some how. I'll have to call some California dealers I can always drive out to pick it up if I have to. I know in Arizona i won't be getting one. I've called a couple places and they told me that that some dealers actually charge over msrp even if you order it. I thought that was ridiculous but I guess some people have to have it and will pay a 10k up charge.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Since they said that it is company policy try asking another one of their dealers to see if it is policy.

Darien, CT- 203-655-8811
Darien is my dealer in Connecticut and I can tell you that it's not automatically added on. In fact, no one has even mentioned it to me. I would most definitely call Penske and complain! Ironically, my closest friend's father is on the Board of Penske, so I know the culture there. This will not be tolerated if you make a big deal over it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'll see what I can do. I'll throw I fit and some threats and maybe I can get this waived some how. I'll have to call some California dealers I can always drive out to pick it up if I have to. I know in Arizona i won't be getting one. I've called a couple places and they told me that that some dealers actually charge over msrp even if you order it. I thought that was ridiculous but I guess some people have to have it and will pay a 10k up charge.
All these upcharges and restrictions have been going on for a couple of years, of course, Range Rovers are brilliant SUV's but I think it's much more than that, it's because the Dealers aren't just selling "Cars", they're selling what Customers perceive as a lifestyle, there are plenty People that want to buy into it and are willing to pay/do whatever it takes and Dealers know this.

LR Dealers know they can sell when they want to, not when they have to. It must be a great place to be.

I'm trying to imagine what would happen if there was a sudden reversal in the Dealers business model, if they suddenly started offering $10-45K discounts, zero down, 72 month financing and $199 leases ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I recall correctly from my search for rrs last fall....California dealers will not sell out of their area

Just to even get a reply back from a dealer, I had to supply my name and address

Without this info, some dealerships wouldn't even start any discussion

Scottsdale is definitely tacking on tint and LoJack at an extremely high price.....top of the line 3m or ceramic tint is no more than 400-500.....

Such a slimey dealership.....but if u walk away, someone will take the bait and buy it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I recall correctly from my search for rrs last fall....California dealers will not sell out of their area

Just to even get a reply back from a dealer, I had to supply my name and address

Scottsdale is definitely tacking on tint and LoJack at an extremely high price.....top of the line 3m or ceramic tint is no more than 400-500.....

Such a slimey dealership.....but if u walk away, someone will take the bait and buy it
Very true. I don't know how much LoJack is but I can't imagine it being more than $5-600. I know I'm going to be over paying especially because there is no need for LoJack. I'll have to wait until my October delivery to see if this situation changes for the better.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Darien, CT- 203-655-8811

Bought our 2014 RRS HSE at Annapolis JLR in December 2013 and LoJack was already installed on the vehicle and they charged us a one-time fee of $695.00. There are options through LoJack (for a price) like Early Warning, Extended Recovery Warranty and a combination. We received a letter from LoJack recently saying to contact them about the battery in our unit, some are exhibiting inconsistent voltage levels. LoJack is offering to come to our house to test and replace the batteries if necessary.

We had no choice on LoJack at Annapolis JLR since they install them on all their vehicles pre-purchase. I learned Alexandria Land Rover (no Jaguar) does the same thing as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bought our 2014 RRS HSE at Annapolis JLR in December 2013 and LoJack was already installed on the vehicle and they charged us a one-time fee of $695.00. There are options through LoJack (for a price) like Early Warning, Extended Recovery Warranty and a combination. We received a letter from LoJack recently saying to contact them about the battery in our unit, some are exhibiting inconsistent voltage levels. LoJack is offering to come to our house to test and replace the batteries if necessary.

We had no choice on LoJack at Annapolis JLR since they install them on all their vehicles pre-purchase. I learned Alexandria Land Rover (no Jaguar) does the same thing as well.
Yes, but on a 2014 at least Lojack is a useful accessory. It's redundant and unnecessary on the 2016 model with expanded InApps controls that (supposedly) use your cellphone to track the vehicle. And anyway, I HATE being pressured by car dealers to buy something I don't want to. At least at other dealers its just high pressure by the finance manager, but not mandatory for the sale.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yes, but on a 2014 at least Lojack is a useful accessory. It's redundant and unnecessary on the 2016 model with expanded InApps controls that (supposedly) use your cellphone to track the vehicle.
The SOS call uses the onboard GPS and a separate radio with its own SIM inside the vehicle, so it's very likely that the tracking uses the same.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Darien, CT- 203-655-8811

Good to know my LR dealer isn't the only one. They might change their policy once the first 2016 comes out to the lots.

·
Registered
13 Posts

It's interesting since I have run into this quite a lot while searching for a RR. So I decided to ask LRNA. Here is what they said:

"Dear ,

Thank you for contacting the Land Rover Customer Relationship Center. . I appreciate your inquiry and apologize that you are having difficulty with your vehicle purchase. To the point on retailers being 'forbidden' from selling a vehicle to a customer that is outside of their local market, that is not the case. Our research over time shows customers are most satisfied if they can be supported by the retailer they purchased their vehicle from. At the end of the day, it is a business decision of the retailer. If you have any questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-637-6837, option 9.[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Sincerely,
Customer Relationship Center Representative
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts