RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I just bought two front eas air springs because my current front left is leaking at night and making the pump work more than it should I suspect.

My local garage wants to charge me $200 to replace both and I think that's just way tooo much dough for this job. As a result I wanted to know if anyone could point me in the right direction (links, videos, pdf) on doing this myself and how difficult it might be.

Thanks,

Rafael

·
Registered
284 Posts
There should be some directions with the new air bags. Front springs take the liner off and have new platics screws to replace the ones you break off.

bolt and clip on the bottom and two clips on the top.

pull out the old air spring and replace with new one.

I replaced my front with new air springs then my perfectly good rear air springs went dead....not sure why.

Then my collets/air connections started leaking one after the other.

I bought a coil spring conversion, now I just need to install them when I get a chance.....

·
Registered
990 Posts
Where's Kmag?
Since he is not here, you can go to the main page and follow the repair links to the proper instruction. You can also search for lots of posts on this topic. The bottom line is that it is very easy. The hardest part is reattaching the air collet so it doesn't leak. Read up on how they work before starting. I prefer to leave the fender liners on since messing with those stupid fasteners is a pain. Its possible to do without even removing the wheels.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
280 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
VERY EASY! Just did one of mine following directions off this site.
Lift truck axle off the ground, put jack stands on frame,
Remove wheels,
lower axle gently,
Remove the plastic liner ( lots of screws you gotta undo),
Remove the plastic hose entering top of bag (press metal down, lift hose up),
2 clips on top of spring/bag perch, 1 13mm nut on the back left of the back holding a clip that slides out.
Fiddle the bag out, and reverse to install.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Regarding changing the Air Springs... while researching this issue, I came across the Arnott website. They have a PDF for the coil conversion. It has pretty pictures and everything! I know it's premise is how to replace with coils, but I plan on using it when I replace my Air Springs because it seems to illustrate the removal fairly well.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/manager/upload/ProductManual.asp?fileId=166

They also have a basic schematic for their air springs with show fittings, etc on the new Air Spring.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/manager/upload/ProductManual.asp?fileId=160

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
As I mentioned to you before they are dead easy to do, just follow the instructions from this website or the other posts here on this thread and you can't go wrong. I am not overly mechanically minded but was surprised at how much the Rover dealer was going to charge in labour and the fact it took me about 30 minutes to do all 4 springs (15 minutes of that was the first one while reading the printed out piece of paper I had).
Aynsley

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Success!! I *just* replaced my two front air springs and it feels pretty good to have it working again. My front left was in such terrible shape that I can hardly believe it worked for me the last few months. I was also fortunate _not_ to have caused a fault considering the rover would no longer level out and the console would just blink and blink and blink. After the replacement, it appears to be working well, albeit a tad slow.

While I found all of your tips very helpful, I used the following link to change mine (below). My process was only slightly different because I was changing the entire air sprint, not just the bladder. However, I highly recommend this page because it has helped me loads! And, with this method, you don't need to remove the tire(s).

http://hildstrom.com/projects/frontairspring/index.html

On a side note, it does appear to take a bit more time than I'd expect for the air springs to inflate... is there a general guideline of how long this should take? I'm trying to get an idea if my compressor is starting to have issues because of age (and overuse).

Thanks!

Rafael

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,759 Posts
rbarrero said:
On a side note, it does appear to take a bit more time than I'd expect for the air springs to inflate... is there a general guideline of how long this should take? I'm trying to get an idea if my compressor is starting to have issues because of age (and overuse).

Thanks!

Rafael
I would order the compressor seal from shupak as your compressor is most likely getting worn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Front spring noise when turning

I have the conversion kit installed in my 99 Rover. (It was done before I bought it). I am getting a noise from the front spring area when I turn a tight left or right turn. It only happens when I am accelerating, and going uphill as I turn. (I imagine it is stretching the spring as I accelerate). I notice the Traction Control light next to the ABS light comes each time the noise is made.

I have removed and replaced the front axle assembly and the front wheel bearing, thinking the noise was coming from there. I have zero history on this truck, I got it with a frozen/ locked up front differential (due to a stupid $20 axle seal eliminating all the oil in the diff) that broke the transmission case when it locked up. I replaced the ring and pinion assembly with a used unit, and then rebuilt the transmission, replacing the broken case at the same time.

If I am facing downhill, and turn a tight turn, it does not make the noise, trac warnign lite does not come on.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts