RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone provide a link to instructions for replacing the scuttle [or plenum] filter, please ?

I have read through loads of threads about problems concerning these filters, and someone even posted an answer about following the posted answers in the forum somewhere but didn't bother providing a link. Really annoying, making mention of the instructions but not bothering to assist by showing the link :devilish:.

I would be most grateful for the link.

Pierre3.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks very much for that link. I need to replace the filters on my P38 and that post gives a pretty good run-down.

Thanks again.

Pierre3.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you're following those instructions: 1. you dont have to completely remove the seals on A pillars - or certainly not on both sides- one side will do, and then you can just put one screw back into keep it roughly located, rather than dangling in mid air. 2. Even if you plan to replace with an OEM matrix get some decent nylon mesh to put it in a sandwich, else you'll be doing the same job in another 6 months - ask me how I know

Reactions: Pierre3

·
Registered
1999 P38 vogue
146 Posts
If you're following those instructions: 1. you dont have to completely remove the seals on A pillars - or certainly not on both sides- one side will do, and then you can just put one screw back into keep it roughly located, rather than dangling in mid air. 2. Even if you plan to replace with an OEM matrix get some decent nylon mesh to put it in a sandwich, else you'll be doing the same job in another 6 months - ask me how I know
Can you clarify --- nylon mesh ? Just in case someone doesn't quite get what you mean --- I for one don't

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yep, like fly screen: 1 Sq mm mesh, I think mine came off ebay and was intended for an aquarium

·
Registered
1999 P38 vogue
146 Posts
Thanks people now if anyone is going to do this job themselves it should help them out 👍👍😎

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for some very useful tips here, I must have a look about for some mesh.

Just out of interest, do you sandwich the scuttle foam filter between two pieces of mesh, and if so does the filter then fit OK inside the locating spring wire which holds it in place ?

Pierre3.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just looking on the 'net and there is plenty of nylon fly screen mesh on ebay, and cheap enough at around £5 -£7 plus postage.

I can imagine that it could be a bit awkward trying to get the foam filter to sit steady between the mesh but I am sure that with a bit of something like Copydex glue [used for cloth material] it should be "fairly" easy to do.

Thanks for the advice.

Pierre3.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
187 Posts
The foam I used was speaker foam from my hi-fi business. It fell to bits in months - I think the original LR foam is UV stable. If you use off the shelf foam I think it will rot again in no time.

Not too hard a job to replace.

Tom

·
Registered
1999 P38 vogue
146 Posts
I can't understand why using speaker foam instead of the land rover part ? The part costs so little ? Now you have to do it again --- not an expience I'd want --- still we live and learn eh 👍

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
187 Posts
Ha. Yes.

It appeared to be the same type of foam. It's not.

I'll get into it soon enough. Pretty easy job really and I want to replace all the screws anyway.

·
Registered
1999 P38 vogue
146 Posts
Why bother with the foam - just use the mesh!
I thought that myself whilst doing mine as it was a bit fiddly --- but mate who helped me said ---- it's there for a reason otherwise Land rover wouldn't do that foam ---- maybe cost ?

·
Super Moderator
2,096 Posts
It's only there to stop dead leaves filling up and clogging the pollen filters. Many people have replaced the foam with nylon mesh or sprayed aluminium mesh black and used that. Does the job and doesn't rot away and fall to bits like the foam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
YouTube has segment on replacing the foam. Look up "Work on P38" plenum filter. "Work on P38" is a useful series on fixing things on a P38. I need to do mine but I like the screen idea more than foam.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts